Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Chuky01
Helper I
Helper I

How Do I calculate Avg YOY Percent for a city VS Avg YOY Percent for the state where the city is?

Though I created a sample workbook, I'm not sure how to attach it with this questions, please let me know if there is a way. Here is my question. Using the Sample superstore dataset as an example, I want to create a table that can be filtered for each region. When I filter for Central as an example, I want to show the following - 

1. Each city and state in the region
  2. The Average YOY Sales (%)  for that city vs Average YOY Sales for the state to which the city belongs
  3. The Average YOY Sales (%) for that city vs Average YOY Sales for the region to which the city belongs

It could also be Month over Month Averger Percent change as well. 

I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @Chuky01 

I think the reason is, perhaps there are the same category names in different regions.

Please check the link down below, whether it is correctly done.

For the one measure, I created a bit different way to achieve the result.

calc Avg YOY RegionLevel =
CALCULATE( [calc Avg YOY (%)], ALLEXCEPT('00 City List', '00 City List'[Region]))

Hi, My name is Jihwan Kim.

If this post helps, then please consider accept it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi, @Chuky01 

Please correct me if I wrongly understood your question.

If you want to calculate the State level number, you can remove the city-level filter inside your measure.

If you want to calculate the Region level number, you can remove the State-level-filter inside your measure.

If it is OK with you, please share your sample pbix file's link here, then I can try to look into it to come up with more accurate measures.

thanks.

If this post helps, then please consider accept it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Hi @Jihwan_Kim here is a link to file. Please let me know if you are able to access it. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3xm1deo85a1tui2/Data%20Model.pbix?dl=0

Hi, @Chuky01 

Please check the below two measures and link down below whether those are what you are looking for.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7irqv59aah2ky1u/Data%20Model.pbix?dl=0 

calc Avg YOY% StateLevel =
CALCULATE( [calc Avg YOY %], ALLSELECTED(Location[City]))

calc Avg YOY% RegionLevel =
CALCULATE( [calc Avg YOY %], ALLSELECTED(Location[State], Location[City]))

Go to My LinkedIn Page

@Jihwan_Kim So the formula above works perfect on the Superstore data. However now I'm trying to use it on my dataset at work and it's not quite producing the result I wanted lol. I may not have presented the correct scenario in my question.Let try and clarify.

The data I'm working has Region, City and Category. I am trying to find the Avg YOY % for each city, vs the Avg YOY % for all cities within the same category, within the same region. I feel like I just need to tweek your formula abit, but I'm not sure how. See screenshot for more clarity.

Looking at Aberdeen for example, I want to calculate Avg YOY % (-1.2%) vs the Avg YOY % for Category POP6 in the Central Region (-1.3%), and also vs Avg YOY for the Central region (-3.9%)Capture.PNG

Hi, @Chuky01 

Thank you for your feedback.

In my opinion, you can simply replace STATE -> CATEGORY...

If it is OK with you, please share this sample pbix file's link, then I can try to look into it.

Thank you.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Hi, @Chuky01 

I think the reason is, perhaps there are the same category names in different regions.

Please check the link down below, whether it is correctly done.

For the one measure, I created a bit different way to achieve the result.

calc Avg YOY RegionLevel =
CALCULATE( [calc Avg YOY (%)], ALLEXCEPT('00 City List', '00 City List'[Region]))

Go to My LinkedIn Page

@Jihwan_Kim Thank you so much.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors