Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DHB
Helper V
Helper V

How Can I Make a Chart Like This in Power BI?

Is it possible to create this sort of chart in Power BI desktop?

DHB_0-1604012788951.png

Time along the x-axis, categories on the y-axis and a count of something which would determine the size of the bubbles.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

You should be able to do that with one of the Dot Plot options (e.g., the one by MAQ) in the Custom Visuals marketplace (hit the ellipsis in the visuals section and choose Get More Visuals).  Since you are using Year, you can plot that as a number on the axis in the Dot Plot and it should work.  If you have two category columns to compare, I don't think it would work, and you would need Charticulator or use SVGs in a matrix visual.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

You should be able to do that with one of the Dot Plot options (e.g., the one by MAQ) in the Custom Visuals marketplace (hit the ellipsis in the visuals section and choose Get More Visuals).  Since you are using Year, you can plot that as a number on the axis in the Dot Plot and it should work.  If you have two category columns to compare, I don't think it would work, and you would need Charticulator or use SVGs in a matrix visual.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

Thank you @mahoneypat I've pretty much got it now.  I created a test chart using this;

TEAMMONTHGOALS
A110
A22
A320
A415
A520
B17
B212
B311
B428
B513
C16
C21
C30
C49
C511
D117
D25
D34
D416
D510

I've got it to visualise in the way I want using MAQ Dot Plot but somehow the axes labels have switched round.  The x-axis is month but the label says name and vice versa.  Do you know what I might be able to do to switch it back?

Capture.PNG

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DHB ,

Basically it looks like strange. I have created a dot plot chart based on your picture and it gave me the correct corresponding value:

dot plot.png

Maybe you can try to re-create a new chart to check or put the fields like this and use drill down to try:

d2.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-yingjl I've done that but when I flip orientation to horizontal to put Month on the x-axis the titles don't switch with them.  I have to manually overwrite which is fine but not ideal/

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DHB ,

Could you please consider sharing the 'problem' dummy .pbix file for further?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

It's not letting me upload a pbix but it's the MAQ Dot plot with the dummy data posted above

@v-yingjl It won't let me add a pbix file but it's basically just the MAQ Bubble chart and I used the test data posted above (20 rows, 3 columns).

This seems weird, but in the format options you can turn on the title and put Month and Team in the title text boxes and those text values will overwrite what is shown.

Regards,

Pat

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @DHB,

Use a scatter chart for this. 

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Thanks @MFelix.  The scatter chart won't accept categorical data in the y-axis.  The only way I could make it work was by giving each category a number but then you lose the category values on the axis.

Hi @DHB 

Please Check the sample outcome, i purposed couple of days back: 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Create-chart-where-the-Y-axis-the-values-are-grouped-in-an/...

at least in power BI you can achieve something like this-

NamishB_1-1604016100434.png

Hope this helps

Cheers,

-Namish B

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.