Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How Append works?

Hi Everyone,

I have a doubt about how Appen works, for example i have a data "A" and "B" and i use the Appemd tool to make a new table "Data C" and all my visualizations will be created with the "Data C", however i need to refresh the data "B".  So for this update to be showed in the "Data C" do i need to refresh the "Data C" also? Because sometimes looks like i dont need to do it and sometimes it doesnt refresh the information so i have to refresh it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

You should only have to refresh Table C.  Because that is an append of A & B it will refresh those sources.  I put together a test append then added records and refreshed only my append table:

before and after refresh Table Cbefore and after refresh Table C

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

You should only have to refresh Table C.  Because that is an append of A & B it will refresh those sources.  I put together a test append then added records and refreshed only my append table:

before and after refresh Table Cbefore and after refresh Table C

Anonymous
Not applicable

What if i dont want data "A" be refreshed? Can i do something about this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Refresh Data C.

When you refresh a table, it checks dependencies on any other table that is referenced, and will refresh those as well.

It sounds like Tables Data A and Data B are not needed in the model, they only need to exist in Query Editor so that Data C is created properly.  Have you disabled load to the data model for these tables?

Right click on Data A in Query Editor.  Make sure that "Include in Report Refresh" is checked and "Enable Load" is NOT checked.  Do the same for Data B.

Data C should have BOTH checked.

Now, when you refresh Data C, everything will happen as planned.

Anonymous
Not applicable

When you refresh a table, it checks dependencies on any other table that is referenced, and will refresh those as well.

So tables A,B,C will be refreshed? 

Have you disabled load to the data model for these tables?

Nope, but i dont use the refresh button i just manually refresh the tables i need from the Fields Panel

Right click on Data A in Query Editor.  Make sure that "Include in Report Refresh" is checked and "Enable Load" is NOT checked.  Do the same for Data B.

I did this once and the information of data "A" dissapeared and same thing happened for the info of  data "A" that was on data "C" 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.