Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
LuisG2407 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

How Append works?

Hi Everyone,

I have a doubt about how Appen works, for example i have a data "A" and "B" and i use the Appemd tool to make a new table "Data C" and all my visualizations will be created with the "Data C", however i need to refresh the data "B".  So for this update to be showed in the "Data C" do i need to refresh the "Data C" also? Because sometimes looks like i dont need to do it and sometimes it doesnt refresh the information so i have to refresh it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: How Append works?

You should only have to refresh Table C.  Because that is an append of A & B it will refresh those sources.  I put together a test append then added records and refreshed only my append table:

appendrefresh.jpgbefore and after refresh Table C

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisHaas Established Member
Established Member

Refresh Data C.

When you refresh a table, it checks dependencies on any other table that is referenced, and will refresh those as well.

It sounds like Tables Data A and Data B are not needed in the model, they only need to exist in Query Editor so that Data C is created properly.  Have you disabled load to the data model for these tables?

Right click on Data A in Query Editor.  Make sure that "Include in Report Refresh" is checked and "Enable Load" is NOT checked.  Do the same for Data B.

Data C should have BOTH checked.

Now, when you refresh Data C, everything will happen as planned.

Super User
Super User

You should only have to refresh Table C.  Because that is an append of A & B it will refresh those sources.  I put together a test append then added records and refreshed only my append table:

appendrefresh.jpgbefore and after refresh Table C

View solution in original post

Regular Visitor

When you refresh a table, it checks dependencies on any other table that is referenced, and will refresh those as well.

So tables A,B,C will be refreshed? 

Have you disabled load to the data model for these tables?

Nope, but i dont use the refresh button i just manually refresh the tables i need from the Fields Panel

Right click on Data A in Query Editor.  Make sure that "Include in Report Refresh" is checked and "Enable Load" is NOT checked.  Do the same for Data B.

I did this once and the information of data "A" dissapeared and same thing happened for the info of  data "A" that was on data "C" 

Regular Visitor

What if i dont want data "A" be refreshed? Can i do something about this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

New Badges

Incoming: New and Improved Badges

Exciting news: We've given our badges an overhaul and added brand news ones.

Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 269 members 3,040 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: