Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

graphman
Regular Visitor

Hive table ODBC data not cached in powerBI

My setup: PowerBI Desktop connecting to Hiveserver2 using Hortonworks ODBC driver

Issue: When I issue "Get Data" and load a Hive table, PowerBI loads all data from the table. Since DirectQuery is not supported for ODBC sources, this data is now within my laptop. Then I perform "Edit queries" and try to "Add new column" and then press "Close & Apply". When I do this, I see that PowerBI queries the Hive table again for all data i.e. importing the table again fully. This is an un-necessary step and slows down my report building process significantly. I am on a high-latency line.

Since DirectQuery is not supported in ODBC , I fail to understand why PowerBI is repeatedly importing this data without any valid rationale. Please help.

Thanks for your support.

2 REPLIES 2
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@graphman

In Power Query, once you make changes which will add steps, it will execute entire Power Query when you "Save & Close" Query Editor. That's the reason why it will re-import the table. 

Regards,

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the answer.

If PBI is creating the new column through a HS2 query, then we can definitely see the rationale.

But it looks like a regular import of the entire table again – which hardly serves any purpose. It hurts when we work on a high-latency line.

(or)

Am I missing something here?

Thanks, 

Best,

Graphman

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.