Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

graphman
Regular Visitor

Hive table ODBC data not cached in powerBI

My setup: PowerBI Desktop connecting to Hiveserver2 using Hortonworks ODBC driver

Issue: When I issue "Get Data" and load a Hive table, PowerBI loads all data from the table. Since DirectQuery is not supported for ODBC sources, this data is now within my laptop. Then I perform "Edit queries" and try to "Add new column" and then press "Close & Apply". When I do this, I see that PowerBI queries the Hive table again for all data i.e. importing the table again fully. This is an un-necessary step and slows down my report building process significantly. I am on a high-latency line.

Since DirectQuery is not supported in ODBC , I fail to understand why PowerBI is repeatedly importing this data without any valid rationale. Please help.

Thanks for your support.

2 REPLIES 2
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@graphman

In Power Query, once you make changes which will add steps, it will execute entire Power Query when you "Save & Close" Query Editor. That's the reason why it will re-import the table. 

Regards,

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the answer.

If PBI is creating the new column through a HS2 query, then we can definitely see the rationale.

But it looks like a regular import of the entire table again – which hardly serves any purpose. It hurts when we work on a high-latency line.

(or)

Am I missing something here?

Thanks, 

Best,

Graphman

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.