Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kmas
Frequent Visitor

Historical data analysis

Hi all,

I have created two streaming datasets, they are exactly from the same source, however, one has the 'Historical Data Analysis' option enabled, whilst the other one has this option disabled.

I want to create two different reports (each of them associated to one of the above streaming datasets), however, I can't create a report using the dataset with the 'Historical Data Analysis' disabled. Basically, Power BI doesn't allow me to select that dataset (only the dataset with this option enabled appears in the corresponding PBI window). 

Can someone explain this issue to me? Which are the differences between both streaming datasets? 

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kmas

For the streaming dataset which has the 'Historical Data Analysis'  option disabled, Power BI only stores the data into a temporary cache, which quickly expires.

There is no underlying database, so you cannot build report visuals using the data that flows in from the stream. As such, you cannot make use of report functionality such as filtering, custom visuals, and other report functions.

When Historic data analysis is enabled, the dataset created becomes both a streaming dataset and a push dataset.

With a push dataset, data is pushed into the Power BI service. When the dataset is created, the Power BI service automatically creates a new database in the service to store the data. Since there is an underlying database that continues to store the data as it comes in, reports can be created with the data. 

Refrence
Real-time streaming in Power BI

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kmas

For the streaming dataset which has the 'Historical Data Analysis'  option disabled, Power BI only stores the data into a temporary cache, which quickly expires.

There is no underlying database, so you cannot build report visuals using the data that flows in from the stream. As such, you cannot make use of report functionality such as filtering, custom visuals, and other report functions.

When Historic data analysis is enabled, the dataset created becomes both a streaming dataset and a push dataset.

With a push dataset, data is pushed into the Power BI service. When the dataset is created, the Power BI service automatically creates a new database in the service to store the data. Since there is an underlying database that continues to store the data as it comes in, reports can be created with the data. 

Refrence
Real-time streaming in Power BI

Best Regards

Maggie

Thanks Maggie!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.