Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Histogram with incomplete data

I am trying to show a histogram of time to failure for a population of fielded systems.  I need two metrics:  1)  the total failure rate as a function of time (allowing that the systems are repairable and that some experience multiple failures; and 2) the failed system rate (counting only the first failure for each system).

Unfortunately, the data are incomplete--I know how many systems have been fielded, and how many experienced a failure, but I only have time data for about 2/3 of the failures.  

In Excel I would create the bins, bin the failures with data, calculate the bin percentages and multiply the percentages by the absolute failure rate for the total population to get an assumed rate at each bin (the assumption being that the time distribution for reported events and nonreported events is the same).  I don't know how to do that in BI.  Alternately, I could show a histogram column for 'no data', but I don't know how to do that either. 

I built a siimplified sample dataset, but I don't see a way to post PBIX files to the forum.  The histograms appear to correctly calculate the bins for the failures with data, but they do not extrapolate to cover the holes.

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

If we change the type of x-axis, we can see there is a blank() in the x-axis. Is this what you need?

Histogram_with_incomplete_data

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Could you please mark the proper answers as solutions?

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

If we change the type of x-axis, we can see there is a blank() in the x-axis. Is this what you need?

Histogram_with_incomplete_data

Best Regards,

Dale

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Save your PBIX to OneDrive or Box or something and post a link to it here. 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is a link to the example data file.

Histogram Example

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.