Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mfaber
Frequent Visitor

Highlighting and wrap text in multirow card

Hi!

I'd like to visualize different problems occured during a store visit. I have 4 different problem categories, each one has a different column in the data field. So I'd like to show Problem A: xyzxyz... happened, Problem B: abcd happened, etc..

I did it like this:

powerbi_multirow_negative_highlight.PNG

First problem: Is it possible to highlight a row or the text when there's an actual problem, or to lowlight ( is this a real word?Smiley Happy ) when there's no problem?

Second problem: Is it possible to visualize Problem A somehow nicer, so we can see the whole text? As far as I know there's no direct "wrap text" in power bi yet, but any workaround maybe?

I'm also open to other visuals if you have a better idea.

Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7
XMonsterX
Frequent Visitor

This may not apply to most people, as I was just trying to get a table to show my relevant text and wrap it, based on my selection. 

I tested a bunch of different visualizations, etc. 

I was only able to wrap my text in my box with one of the visualizations. Cards  (Little square with 123) did it for me.

Once you've selected the data you want in your card, go to the format section and turn on "Word Wrap".

Hope this helps. 

Not sure what version I'm on as it's a work account.

David

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@mfaber

To get this kind of flexibility try the Card with States Custom Visual (and create 3 Cards in your case)

To read/learn more about it go here

You can also download it from here

Hope this helps.

Good Luck! Smiley Happy

mfaber
Frequent Visitor

Hey, thanks for the quick answer!

Cards are just for numbers, aren't they?

I need to show texts, to see what's the problem. It counts the texts for me.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm still trying to figure it out, but no luck yet. Sorry, I'm pretty new to this.. Smiley Happy

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

How long is the text in these columns???

And to channel @MattAllington - I don't know if this is the best way to setup you data? (from the little I can gather)

http://exceleratorbi.com.au/shaping-modelling-power-bi/

But to answer you question yes you can use TEXT but you'll have to use a Measure to display it

As you can see you'll also need Color Columns for each so you can use them to determine the state of each card...

That's why you may have to re-shape your data

Card with States - TEXT.png

Good Luck! Smiley Happy

mfaber
Frequent Visitor

What's your Problem A Measure here?

I'll answer your questions too, but I'd try this first 🙂

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@mfaberI used this Measure for my example

Problem A Measure =
IF (
    HASONEVALUE ( 'Table'[Project] ),
    CONCATENATEX ( 'Table', 'Table'[Problem A], ",", 'Table'[Problem A], ASC ),
    "Select a Project"
)

Good Luck! Smiley Happy

Card with States - TEXT2.png

mfaber
Frequent Visitor

I'm getting closer, but I got stuck.. Sorry for taking so much of your time 🙂

So, I'm doing a report about the product placements and image of our partners in different stores. There are some free style text boxes to fill on different viewpoints that we have to check, so it's like: Product placement problem: "There are other manufacturer's products on our table". Product pricing problem: "The price tags on the aisle show different prices than the ones on the webpage", Product stock problem: "No problem occured". I just made these up, but it's something like that. These are what I called Problem A, B and C.

In my data table every single visit is a different row, and every viewpoint is a different column, that's how my data is set up.

With the multi-row card I could show this like in the pics, I posted first, but it has a static background and font color, and I find it disturbing, that it's still red, while there's no problem occured. So I just need two different cases. When the text says "No problem", I'd like it to be green, everything else is red, as there are only problems listed in these fields.

Where I got stuck with your solution is that in the PA color measure, the SWITCH formula says it requires an expression with single values as a "single value cannot be determined", when I choose the column where Problem A-s are listed. But the same problem can happen multiple times, I'm gonna have hundreds of rows of data (visits).

The slicers gonna be set to show one single visit every time, so it doesn't have to show multiple visits.

Any idea? Smiley Frustrated

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.