Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Highlight starting point on map for distances

I have a dashboard that allows users to select a location and then you can select how many miles you want to see and a map will show all locations within that mileage (based on a table where I precalculated distances).  That table is

FromLocation  ToLocation    Miles

a                         b                  50

What I would like is if a user selects location a then on the map location a will be highlighted somehow.   Is this possible?

3 REPLIES 3
judspud
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @Anonymous 

Please see the link to the following post

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Map-with-Range-of-distance/td-p/567281

This details how your question can be implemented using ArcGIS maps 🙂

Hope this helps

Thanks,

George

Anonymous
Not applicable

@judspud 

So I got permission to use ArcGIS and started setting it up.  

The link you sent me looks great but isn't what I want to do.  I need mine to be dynamic.  So if a user selects a location it needs to automatically highlight that location on the map.  

In my map I show the From Location as a Distance = 0.  How can I get the ArcGIS to show this one as a bright red and then all others as another color?  It looks like I am stuck using their color schemes and if I drop it down to 2 categories most of their selections are pretty bleh....

The Symbol Style options and number of classifications is the closest to what i want.  The radius one would work if I could feed it dynamically the # of locations and the miles that they enter.  But I am already calculating distance away so I don't need ArcGIS to do that.

Any ideas on how I can modify this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I looked into Arcgis maps but when I started to see if I could set something up it gave me a warning that data would be shared to Arcgis.  I couldn't find any info as to what would be shared so I didn't go that route.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.