Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gwendaline_p
Helper I
Helper I

Highlight depending on the selection in a bar chart

Hi everyone ,

Did someone know how to highlight a value depending on the selection in a bar chart ?

Example : I choose in the filter X (it's an entity) and in the bar chart I saw X and other entity. I want to highlight the X entity like this :

ticket_powerbi_highlight.png

Kind regards ,

Gwendaline

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Gwendaline_p

If you only have a slicer and a bar chart, you are not able to highlight the section in bar chart when you selecting X in the slicer.

Create another pie chart using same fields that you use to create the bar chart. Click on the pie chart, then turn on “Edit interactions” under Format ribbon. This way, you will be able to choose “Highlight” in the bar chart, and when you choose X in pie chart, the X section in bar chart will be highlighted. For more details, please review the following example.
1.PNG2.PNG

Another option is to click on the slicer, choose “None” in the bar chart after you click on the pie chart and choose “Highlight” in the bar chart. Then when you select X in the slicer, it will filter the data in Pie chart, after that, click on the filtered section in the pie chart, the X section will be highlighted in  the bar chart.
1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Gwendaline_p,

Check this post with a similar request to yours, you just have to select the hightlight instead of none option.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-can-I-have-different-graphs-on-one-page-be-in-dependant...

Regards,

Mfelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Hi ,

I don't have this option : here is what I have

power_bi_filter.PNG

Kind regards ,

Gwendaline

Hi @Gwendaline_p

If you only have a slicer and a bar chart, you are not able to highlight the section in bar chart when you selecting X in the slicer.

Create another pie chart using same fields that you use to create the bar chart. Click on the pie chart, then turn on “Edit interactions” under Format ribbon. This way, you will be able to choose “Highlight” in the bar chart, and when you choose X in pie chart, the X section in bar chart will be highlighted. For more details, please review the following example.
1.PNG2.PNG

Another option is to click on the slicer, choose “None” in the bar chart after you click on the pie chart and choose “Highlight” in the bar chart. Then when you select X in the slicer, it will filter the data in Pie chart, after that, click on the filtered section in the pie chart, the X section will be highlighted in  the bar chart.
1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I don't understand why you would ever do what you've suggested in the second half of your answer. If you wanted to have to click on something to highlight after you've used the slicer you would cut out the middleman and just click on the bar you want to highlight directly on the chart.

Seems to me like yet another basic thing that Power BI is incapable of.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.