Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Highlight bar chart in tooltip page

Hello

Currently I have a filled map, the filled areas are city's neighborhoods. When I hover over the neighborhood, I want to see its population bar highlighted  among other neighborhood population bars in a bar chart.

The table I have has the following columns:

ZIP code ||   Neighborhood name ||  Population

However as I hover over the map, it only shows the filtered bar chart instead of highlight chart. I tried to "Edit Interactions" there is only "Filter" option, not "Highlight" option.

Thank you beforehand!

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply

I have looked at the guide and follow but it still does not work

Hi @Anonymous,

Please refer to the official documentation to ensure that my descriptions are not misleading.

Could you provide the output of your issue?

Could you see the 'highlight' option?

If possible, please provide pbix file after removing sensitive information and i will check in my environment.

Looking forward your reply. 😉

Best Regards,
Link

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Thank you for your help.

I have used "Highlight" option as connection from pie chart to bar chart.

filter of bar chart is highlightfilter of bar chart is highlight

When I click on the bar chart I choose "None" as connection from the bar chart with every other charts in the page. I have tried to change the "None" to "Filter" and "Highlight" mode as connection from bar chart to pie chart but it has not highlighted anything.

This is how it looks like when I hover my mouse over one neighborhood:

new-pic.png

SInstead of the pie chart I have also tried with many different charts but still it doesn't change.

Best,

P-

Hi @Anonymous,

Sorry for delay reply.

Do you have the relevant data in your visuals?

Cross-highlighting is to Select a value in one visual highlights the related data in visuals such as column and bar charts.

You need to click it rather than hover on it.

Please refer:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/consumer/end-user-interactions#cross-filtering-and-cross-highlighting

If you still have some question, please don't hesitate to let me known.‌‌

Best Regards,

Link

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution. Really appreciate!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Yes the data are relevant. I took them from the same table, as mentioned in the first post.

This is not a normal page but a tooltip page for a map, so aside from hovering I don't have any other way to show this visualization.

BR,

P-

Hi @Anonymous,

It is not supported for tooltip page.

When a visual is being cross-highlighted in a report, report tooltips always show the cross-highlighted data, even if you're hovering over the faded section of the data point. In the following image, the mouse is hovering over the faded section of the bar graph (the section that is not highlighted), but the report tooltip still shows data for the highlighted portion of that datapoint (the highlighted data).

You can refer:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-tooltips#report-tooltips-and-cross-highlighting

Best Regards,

Link

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution. Really appreciate!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I have to accept it as this.

BR,

P-

v-xulin-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

If you only have a slicer and a bar chart, you are not able to highlight the section in bar chart.

Create another pie chart using same fields that you use to create the bar chart.

Click on the pie chart, then turn on “Edit interactions” under Format ribbon.

This way, you will be able to choose “Highlight” in the bar chart.

For more details, please review the following example.

v-xulin-mstf_0-1623306163242.png

Best Regards,
Link

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.