Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

adam-townsend

Higher education institutions using Power BI?

Is there anyone else out there using Power BI to develop Reports and Dashboards from enterprise data (we are currently using Colleague as an ERP) for a Higher Education Institution? I am looking to join or form a community of Power BI users to exchange ideas, successes, and failures. 

Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @adam-townsend,

When you said you wanted to develop reports in Power BI, would you please tell us which data source you want to connect to and retrieve data? Currently, in Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service, supported data sources type are listed in below links:

Data sources in Power BI Desktop

Data sources for Power BI service

Also based on my research, there is a sample Power BI Higher Education Analytics solution shows student persistence, retention, and graduation patterns. You can take a look: Higher Education Analytics using Power BI #1: Retention.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
jennif13
Regular Visitor

I am currently learning how to use Power BI with our data from an online university. I would love to know if there is someone out there that would like to help walk me through this. I have come to the fact that Higher Education is not using Power BI as much as businesses. So, even when it comes to learning the techniques, it is hard to try to come up with the adaptation from business to education. Would anyone mind helping me?

ejmuniz

I am also interested in any tools for the Ellucian product Colleague.

Thanks

Ernesto

ASU Mid-South

Ernesto, if you work for a higher ed institution and would like to learn more about how peers use Power BI, you can register to join the Microsoft HIgher Ed Data community using this link to register :: https://aka.ms/MHEdatacommunity   

this is a private group, reserved for HiEd professionals and hosted by Microsoft ... the link will direct you to a LinkedIn page and then to a form wher eyou register.   once you join you can engage peers who also use Power BI for Colleague.  

Best,

Jason

mcraven1845
Frequent Visitor

I know this is a very old message I'm replying to but I am interested in connecting Power BI to our Colleague data that is in an oracle db.  Does anyone any notes to share on this challenge?  thank you for your reply in advance!

DoyleManning

Hello everybody.
Higher education is very important. Without higher education, this life can not be dispensed with. To get a higher education, you must write a well-written letter. Therefore, I advise you a cheap service -uk.papersowl.com, which helped me write a lab esse. Write good graduation letters, earn good grades, graduate and enjoy life. Thank you.

jlarson
Regular Visitor

We use Ellucian's Banner product and I am also interested in connecting with other users of Power BI in the Higher Ed space.

klanger
Regular Visitor

I share your interest in Ellucian Colleague and PowerBI.

Have you found other people or sources of information?

I too am interested in using Power Bi with Ellucian Colleague. I will be implementing it at my institution and would love to collaborate with other Colleague schools to share ideas.

Welcome! 

The university I work with is adopting Colleague now.  We want business intel capabilities soon and I expect to use PowerBI for this, at least in part.

I have worked with other data integration and BI software (Informatica/Hyperion), and have done plenty with Sql Server. However I'm just cracking the seal on PowerBI.

I too would like to collaborate with others who use Colleague and PowerBI.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @adam-townsend,

When you said you wanted to develop reports in Power BI, would you please tell us which data source you want to connect to and retrieve data? Currently, in Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service, supported data sources type are listed in below links:

Data sources in Power BI Desktop

Data sources for Power BI service

Also based on my research, there is a sample Power BI Higher Education Analytics solution shows student persistence, retention, and graduation patterns. You can take a look: Higher Education Analytics using Power BI #1: Retention.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I appreciate your initiative to connect with fellow Power BI users in the higher education sector. It's always beneficial to share experiences and insights when it comes to leveraging powerful tools like Power BI, especially in the context of enterprise data from an ERP like Colleague.

At Scribble Bridge, we've had significant success using Power BI to develop comprehensive Reports and Dashboards tailored to the unique needs of higher education institutions. We understand the value of a community where professionals can exchange ideas and discuss successes and challenges.

If you're interested in further expanding your network and gaining insights into optimizing Power BI for educational data analysis, I recommend checking out our recent white paper on "Empowering Higher Education with Power BI: Strategies for Success." This document delves into best practices, success stories, and key considerations when using Power BI in the education sector.

Feel free to access the white paper [insert link to the white paper]. We hope you find it valuable, and we welcome you to share your thoughts and experiences with our community. Looking forward to engaging in meaningful discussions!

Hi,

I'm unable to download solution template for Higher Education analytics Using Power BI #1:Retention. Please help!

Sonam

Thanks for the response. We are currently using Colleague and extracting census data using SQL into a datawarehouse, where it's imported into BI. This application is simliar to Banner (same software manufacturer, actually), the one used by the institution in the article you mentioned. I have our data set on a 24-hour refresh schedule through Power BI and that seems to be working fine unless there's a hang up in our push from our production database to the datawarehouse. 

One recent thought I had was splitting our census data into several distinct tables because currently I'm importing a table with about 20-30 columns and it feels clumsy. 

I'd like to hear from other Higher Ed institutions as well. Any thoughts?

Hi Adam - I sent you a private message - I work on the US Education team at Microsoft and would be happy to help out here!   Jason

Hi Jason,

I will be pulling Ellucian Colleague data into PowerBI, probably via Colleague ODS.

Have you any suggestions?

- Kent Langseth (klanger) for Mars Hill University

Hi @adam-townsend,

As the report can work fine in Power BI Service and data refresh is also fine, so the issue is not related to Power BI. For issue about extract production SQL database data to the data warehouse, please post a issue in this forum: SQL Server Data Warehousing .

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.