Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KatkaS
Post Patron
Post Patron

Hierarchy slicer

Hello,

I searched, but didn't find answer for below..:

When I drill down in my Hiearachy slicer, options (months) don't pop up as in the "normal" Slicer, please see below screen prints.

Thank you very much!

Hierarchy slicer.PNGSlicer.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Not sure if I understand it correctly what you meant by normal slicer. But here's another approach that you may use to have month and year in a single slicer.

1. Create a calculate column for Year Month, using FORMAT function.

2. Change the DataType of this new calculated column to Date and set Format to Month, Year.

DateFormat.png

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tarun

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @KatkaS,

I didn't encounter this problem on my side.

1.PNG2.PNG

In your scenario, please remove the Hierarchy Slicer visual, restart your Power BI desktop and import this custom visual again for a test.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
tarunsingla
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

You can try creating a calculated column for the month and use that as an additional slicer next to the Year slicer.

Regards,

Tarun

Thank you very much, Tarun, for your time and reply!

But it is not really what I ment (but your reply helped me to solve another problem I also had with months!:)))

I will try to be more precise of explanation of my problem about hierarchy slicer

(and sorry if I missed something from your reply, I'm new to PBI, learning mainly from tutorials):

I want my hierarchy slicer (in the attachment called "Reporting period") to have the same appearance as the "normal" slicer.

(if I select a year of my hierarchy slicer I have to scroll down in the table to be able to choose the month which is not well-arranged, while in the normal slicer selection pops up and is easily accessed).

Thanks a lot again!

Not sure if I understand it correctly what you meant by normal slicer. But here's another approach that you may use to have month and year in a single slicer.

1. Create a calculate column for Year Month, using FORMAT function.

2. Change the DataType of this new calculated column to Date and set Format to Month, Year.

DateFormat.png

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tarun

Thank you, Tarun, very much again for your time!:)

But it's still not what I mean, sorry!:) It's not about the content of the graph, but about appearance - in the Hierarchy slicer (containing years and months in my case) I have to scroll down within the graph, in the Slicer (HUBs in my case) the options pops up, so I can easily select them..

Thank you:)

Is it about how the data is showed in the slicer? List vs Dropdown ?

SlicerViews.png

If yes, you can change that from the little icon on the top right corner of the slicer visual.

Regards,

Tarun

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.