Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hierarchy slicer not working now

Hi @jppp,

I opened my .pbix file today.

Hierarchy slicer suddenly started behaving wierd.

It has 4 levels.top->level2->level3->leve4.

level 4 is at leaf as soon as i select leaf member it works fine and filters all visuals properly.

But as soon as i selct any other level, it start throwing below error:

Couldnt load data for this visual

A table of multiple value was supplied  where a single value was expected.

Kindly look into this issue as soon as possible.

It has happened multiple times now.Is it a way to achieve similar thing by not using custom slicer, since it impacts lot of clients.

If there is a workaround, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

11 REPLIES 11
jppp
MVP

Hi @Anonymous,

Thanks for the feedback, but can you share some more information about your data?

What kind of datasource are you connected to and are all fields columns in the same table?

Thanks, Jan Pieter

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am using sql server as data source, and later it will be azure cloud.

Yes all items are pulled from single table.

Issue is whenever there is blank in hierarchy it starts throwing error.

This issue came earlier but when you had reversed changes it started working.

Is it possible that you share an example with imported data with me?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @jppp

No, sorry i cant do that.

But i can let you know scenario where that slicer is giving issue.

Like i said befor we have 4 levels of hierarchy.

for ex:

Country->state->city->district

But data is as such all rows might not have data for all 4 levels so they are left blank at lower levels

1->b->c->d

a>x>(blank)->(blank)

q>w>e>(blank)

If i am selecting x, hierarchy slicer is able to recognize value and filters all visuals accordingly(we have written dax to filter visuals)

But as soon as i select a all visuals start to throw above mentioned error.

This issue was not occuring earlier.We have not made any changes further.

Please help!!!!

Next issue has also occured, we have written dax to show which level of hierarchy user is selecting it will be shown in heading.

Earlier this was also working , but now in place where hierarchy value should be seen it is blank. 😞 😞 😞

Please ignore braces below as have just copied wanted to show logic of dax, which was working perfectly before hierarchy slicer started throwing error.

IF(ISFILTERED('viewname'[level4]),values('viewname'[level4]),
IF(ISFILTERED('viewname'[level3]),values('viewname'[level3]),IF(ISFILTERED('viewname'[level2]),values('viewname'[level2]),IF(ISFILTERED('viewname'[level1]),values('viewname'[level1])," ")

Hi @Anonymous,

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the error you describe with the sample scenario you descibe, so it would really help you can create a sample based of your data with the error.

image.png

And regarding the ISFITERED() function: due to the fact that the filter from the HierarchySlicer is now based on the lowest level, the ISFITERED() function will always return the same output for the  different levels. I am looking into a solution to support the ISFILTERED function in a future version.

Thanks, Jan Pieter

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @jppp,

Earlier was isfiltered function able to filter at all levels??

As, that is how our dashboards are designed.And were working all fine earlier.

hierarchy in hierarchy slicer is coming from standalone view which is not joined with any other view.

To filter all tiles/visuals we are using ISfiltered functionality in dax.

Is there any alternative to filter now apart from ISFiltered function which can work?

Please reply as soon as possible as it will create high impact in our dashboards.

Thank you,

Honey Bhatia

As extra explanation part of an offline discussion with @Anonymous:

The ISFILTERED function is not working correctly anymore in combination with my HierarchySlicer.

And this is due to the fact that the internals of the slicer has changed since the last release last week.

At this moment the HierarchySlicer is creating a filter based on the lowest level of the hierarchy and therefor all columns that are part of the hierarchy are directly filtered. And that results in that the function ISFILTERED is returning TRUE for all columns, so it is not possible any more to determine which level is selected, unfortunately.

And at this moment I do not have a solution for this yet.

-JP

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi jppp,

Thanks Jan.

Before changes made last week, hierarchy slicer was working fine with isfiltered().

Can you revert changes which caused this issue?

TIA,

Honey

No, it is not an option at this moment to revert back to the old version.

The current version has support for bookmarks and the way the filters is created is the prevert way to support more complex and bigger filters.

But a solution for the ISFILTERED() function is on my backlog and I will look into this in the near future.

-JP

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any updadate here?

@jppp

Even I am facing the exactly same issue with Hierarchy slicer.

Will appreciate if you priovide the solution at the earliest

One more question I have here is, if at all there is change in hierarchy slicer's code(any update or patch) why does it impact all the dashboards using the hierarchy slicer.

Ideally, it should be end users choice if they want to use the update/patch.

TIA

Anushree

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.