Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hierarchy slicer - Old version of analysis services

Hi

I have just downloaded the June update to Power BI desktop and was in the process of creating a report with a hierarchy slicer and the following error message popped up to my big surprice:

"Hierarchy slicers aren't working because you're connected to an old version of Analysis Services. You'll need SQL Analysis Services 2019 or newer"

I am running SQL server 2019 - installed only 10 days ago. Connected via live connection to a multidimensional cube.

Any ideas on this?

15 REPLIES 15
fabre
Regular Visitor

@Anonymous Did you find a solution yet? I encountered the same problem.

josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

see below in this thread ... 

... it is not working on RTM version of SSAS 2019, you must apply later cumulative update to SSAS

Tom_S
Frequent Visitor

You're not alone! 

We have exactly the same issue. Upgraded 5 days ago to SQL 2019, and we're using SSAS Multidimensional.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tom_S  Find a solution yet? I have asked around but it seems like a bug of some sorts. Can anyone comment on this?

I have same problem. Hierarchy slicer is not working on Multidimensional (not Tabular) cube on SSAS 2019 EE.

Well, after update to latest CU (I tested with CU5) it works now.

Nah, I've just had to edit down the slicer in PBI to date. 

It's a little annoying having to explain that to end-users, especially as hierarchy is working in all the other visuals. 

v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

After my tests, Hierarchy slicers could work even if I used SSAS 2017. You could re-install Power BI desktop and check if it works.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-eachen-msft  I already did that twice, actually. Even tried connecting to our test environment which is also SQL server 2019. Same result. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , check the version Analysis service , have you also installed an analysis service with sql server.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak  Yes I have. The version is 15.0.32.50 which should be 2019 to what I can find

@Anonymous ,

Well if you have SQL Server and Analysis server with latest versions (2019 or so) so probably it may not cause an issue.

One workaround for you is to use the normal slicer (Default) from visualization pane and then add multiple columns in it similar to Hierarchical slicer.

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tahreem24  I only have the visual "Slicer". It works with single dimensions but not when I add multiple or hierarchies. Then I get the above message.

@Anonymous  Well that seems weird. Because with latest version also you can use the default slicer with multiple columns/dimensions.

Capture.PNG

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tahreem24 I have already tried that. But it gives me the same error as above. Seems like it recognizes it as a hierarchy.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.