Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

microsoftrookie
Helper II
Helper II

Hierarchy filter graph

Hello,

I have a bar graph that filters out the top occupations for a certain geography. sample chartsample chart

I want to also be able to filter this chart by the group each occupation it resides without having to select a specific filter for the occupation group but by selecting a specific occupation. So my data how the data is organizedhow the data is organized

looks like this. Each occupation is referenced by a 4 digit number on the right, and any number that is 0000 is a general group number. When my bar chart has a specific occupation filtered, the bar chart displays singular itemsingular item only that specific occupation.

However, when i filter by occupational group in a seperate filter, when filtered by occupational groupwhen filtered by occupational groupI am greeted with all of the occupations within that group.

I want to select a specific occupation, be given the group results not the specific occupation without having to cancel and switch filters back to the group filter.

My current measure for this is IF(DISTINCTCOUNT(iomatrix[Growth Rate])<0,SUM(iomatrix[Percent Change])*-1,IF(AND(DISTINCTCOUNT(occdir[Custom]) = 1,DISTINCTCOUNT(geog[areaname])=1),SUM(iomatrix[Percent Change])/100,CALCULATE(SUM(iomatrix[Percent Change])/100,geog[areaname]="New Jersey")))- this formula gives me the geography selection capabilities.

Thank you for helping me,

Regards,

MicrosoftRookie.

4 REPLIES 4
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@microsoftrookie,

You may take advantage of Show Categories With No Data or Visual level filters.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-add-visual-filter-if-the-criteria-is-measure/td-p/39...

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for your quick reply Sam.

I have reviewed the information you sent me, however I do not understand what you want me to do with the visual filters function. 

I hae attempted to recreate the steps you sent me however, these are not Slicers that filter the dataSlicers that filter the datameasures but simply values in the table where Occupations are catergorized within occupational groups.  When the rightmost filter the specific occupation slicer has been fufilled the leftmost slicer the occupation group filter is also filtered to reflect the group in which it resides. however my bar charts remain still reflect the the specific occupation rather than revealing the group stats,(which i want) unless i specifically go into the left most slicer and physically select the only remaining group, and turn off the interaction between the specific occupation filter and the chart. 

The visual filter seems to not affect how the chart reacts to the hard slicers in anyway, with the exception that the visual will results in blanks if I visual filter out the rightmost slicer(the specific occupation).

Maybe you could explain what I may be doing incorrectly,

Thanks again

Microsoft Rookie.

Hi @microsoftrookie

Are you able to share your pbix file so that we can have a look at what you are trying to do?

Thanks

shebr

Thank you for your help @shebr and @v-chuncz-msft,
Although I am unable to post the actual data. I've Prepared a much simpler smaller file, with sample data that mimics the idea of my original data, and set up the file to match my current issue. As you can see in the bar chart of this sample file, the specific occupations are what i want but if i select the specific occupation filter I would like the chart to show the group results instead of the specific occupation.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cOMAwmuaEvNyICuvbz6o8Z3pbbqPZO20

Thanks again,

Microsoft Rookie.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.