Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Hierarchy Slicer - Unexpected Error

Hi,

Today I opened a .PBIX file where I use the Hierarchy Slicer. The moment after the report was opened in PowerBI Desktop I got this message:

-------

Unexpected Error
An error occured while rendering the report.

"Send a Frown"

-------

After doing some investigation I concluded that the Hierarchy Slicer was the source of this error. If I delete the custom visual I do not get the error. Imediately after I download it again from Office Store (through PowerBI Desktop) and put my dimension column in it I get the error.

This has never been an issue before. Anybody else experience this?

56 REPLIES 56
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

This seems to be fixed today.  So much better!!

Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Yesterday this was working well.  When we had the issue last week it was in the desktop, but the published versions were ok. Today the slicer is not working in the published copy.  Anyone else having this issue?

Highlighted

I do not have any issues with the online version, but can you specify what is not working?

-JP

Highlighted

In published reports the Hierarchy slicer did nothing - none of the visuals on the screen changed.  I took the slicer off all tabs, and replaced it. Seems to be better today.  It was strange because last week when I got the error on the desktop the published reports had no issue.  Oh well... things seem better today!

Highlighted

Good to hear that it is now working. If you have problems, please let me know so I can take a look.

-JP

Highlighted

any idea when this issu going to be fix ?

@Mardin wrote:

Hi,

Today I opened a .PBIX file where I use the Hierarchy Slicer. The moment after the report was opened in PowerBI Desktop I got this message:

-------

Unexpected Error
An error occured while rendering the report.

"Send a Frown"

-------

After doing some investigation I concluded that the Hierarchy Slicer was the source of this error. If I delete the custom visual I do not get the error. Imediately after I download it again from Office Store (through PowerBI Desktop) and put my dimension column in it I get the error.

This has never been an issue before. Anybody else experience this?

Highlighted

Hi,

This should be fixed with the current version available in the store.

Also all the reports that uses the HierarchySlicer are updated to the latest version automatically.

Are you still hitting this error? 

Thanks, Jan Pieter

Highlighted

This custom visual is now inexplicably breaking in all of my reports.  It worked fine last week, and not I get an "Unexpected Error", "An error occurred while rendering the report".  The problem can be duplicated by clicking on a parent element and then trying to deselect the parent element.

Highlighted

This custom visual is now inexplicably breaking in all of my reports.  It worked fine last week, and not I get an "Unexpected Error", "An error occurred while rendering the report".  The problem can be duplicated by clicking on a parent element and then trying to deselect the parent element.

Highlighted

Seems to be working OK on my system.  When was the last time you downloaded the custom visual? There was a problem a while back and I had to download an updated version.  I think that was a couple of months ago, so may not be the cause of your issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Community Conference

Microsoft Power Platform Communities

Check out the Winners!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors