Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Hierarchy Slicer - Unexpected Error

Hi,

Today I opened a .PBIX file where I use the Hierarchy Slicer. The moment after the report was opened in PowerBI Desktop I got this message:

-------

Unexpected Error
An error occured while rendering the report.

"Send a Frown"

-------

After doing some investigation I concluded that the Hierarchy Slicer was the source of this error. If I delete the custom visual I do not get the error. Imediately after I download it again from Office Store (through PowerBI Desktop) and put my dimension column in it I get the error.

This has never been an issue before. Anybody else experience this?

56 REPLIES 56
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jppp

Have you managed to identify what had caused the error? I mean I've started just recently see this error, but the report was created a month ago, as well as the slicer was added, and I really didn't change anything in Power BI config since the beginnig of July. So my point is, how reliable will be the new update of the slicer?  In case there is a chance that any new update of Power BI will resuscitate the bug, hmm,let's say it will make our reports rather unstable.

Highlighted

Sorry about all the issues it is causing, but an updated version is in beeing reviewed and after that asap released.

New version can always cause issues and this issue was missed during testing/reviewing. But I have learned what this caused and how to tackle/test this kind of issues in a next version.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@jppp Do you know approximately how soon the new version will be released? I want to be able to provide proactive communication to our senior leadership team regarding month-end reporting.

Highlighted

My expectation is Wednesday, but I cannot promise anything.

Highlighted

Could you please post the pbiviz file in the interim?

Highlighted

Unfortunately that wouldn't solve the problem as it will be overruled by the generic version available.

Highlighted

The new version is approved and published and is available soon as Power BI Desktop is using cache for custom visuals.

Thanks for all the support,

Jan Pieter

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

How do you download it? The version on Powerbi.com is still from the 5th of July.

Highlighted

All custom visuals that are available in the Office Store are automatically updated when a new version is available.

BTW the release date in the Office Store is not that reliable as the developer can set it himself during submission.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thanks for quick feedback! Not sure if I fully understand though since I recently started to use PBI. 

I'll put it like this: how do make the unexpected error message to disappear (without changing slicer type obviously)? Should I wait for a new release of PBI desktop? Download the hierarchy slicer again? Do nothing and wait for the hierarchy slicer to "update itself"? Something else? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Community Conference

Microsoft Power Platform Communities

Check out the Winners!

secondImage

Create an end-to-end data and analytics solution

Learn how Power BI works with the latest Azure data and analytics innovations at the digital event with Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors