Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Mardin
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Hierarchy Slicer - Unexpected Error

Hi,

Today I opened a .PBIX file where I use the Hierarchy Slicer. The moment after the report was opened in PowerBI Desktop I got this message:

-------

Unexpected Error
An error occured while rendering the report.

"Send a Frown"

-------

After doing some investigation I concluded that the Hierarchy Slicer was the source of this error. If I delete the custom visual I do not get the error. Imediately after I download it again from Office Store (through PowerBI Desktop) and put my dimension column in it I get the error.

This has never been an issue before. Anybody else experience this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

All,

I have submitted a new version for approval that fixes the 'unexpected error' and after approval it will be available asap.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks, JP

View solution in original post

58 REPLIES 58
erikh
Regular Visitor

How do you download it? The version on Powerbi.com is still from the 5th of July.

All custom visuals that are available in the Office Store are automatically updated when a new version is available.

BTW the release date in the Office Store is not that reliable as the developer can set it himself during submission.

erikh
Regular Visitor

Thanks for quick feedback! Not sure if I fully understand though since I recently started to use PBI. 

I'll put it like this: how do make the unexpected error message to disappear (without changing slicer type obviously)? Should I wait for a new release of PBI desktop? Download the hierarchy slicer again? Do nothing and wait for the hierarchy slicer to "update itself"? Something else? 

nborn1
Frequent Visitor

Will you post an update once this is approved? Almost all of my reports are affected as well. Since we're close to month end, this is causing a lot of problems. Thanks!

Usually two business days (from my experience). But no guarantee.  

Thanks a lot Jan! Much appreciated!

While I'm at it can I ask you a quick question: In the 1.0.3.0 you mention ragged hierarchies/empty leafs. I suppose this option will remove the "blank" selections in my ragged hierarchy. Do you have any articles/tutorials on how to format the data to allow this feature? I'm asking since I still see my "blank" boxes no matter if I enable or disable Empty Leafs.

Hi, I have not yet a tutorial or any docs regarding, but its is a good point: I will update it this weekend.

The hierachy levels (columns) that should be ignored need to be formatted as an empty/blank value in the source. IF that is the case, then the option 'Empty Leafs' will not show those level values.

-JP

ANAMM
Frequent Visitor

Hi Jan. Works perfectly here Smiley Happy

I just played around with the possibilities and have a bit of feedback. I often work with an organizational hierarchy where ragged hierarchies are very nice to have, but I have the employees in each department in another table and would really like to be able add them to the hierarchy – I am able to do this, but when turning “Empty Leafs” off all employees belonging to an empty leaf are not shown. What I am doing are the following:

Table “Employees”:

Dep num:        Name:

1                       Jan

2                       Martin

2                       Anders

Table “Organization”:

Dep num:         Org Level 1       Org Level 2

1                       Sales

2                       Sales                 EU

Where Dep num is used to link the two.

With “Empty Leafs” turn on this shows as:

Sales – (Blank) – Jan

Sales – EU – Martin

Sales – EU – Andres

With “Empty Leafs” turn off it becomes:

Sales

Sales – EU – Martin

Sales – EU – Andres

It would be really nice if it could remove the blanks but show “Jan”, at the level where he belongs:

Sales – Jan

Sales – EU – Martin

Sales – EU – Andres

Not a deal breaker as I can probably merge the two tables to get a similar behavior, but if it was part of the visual it would be really nice J

Hi, thanks for the feedback.

And this scenario is indeed not supported with the ragged hierarchies option I use, but it is an interesting one.

I will put it on my backlog.

Thanks, JP

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any update on the resolution of this error? We use hierarchy slicers on almost every page of our reports since we report on multiple hierarchies. Making changes in Power BI Desktop is frustrating. Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are your users having issues with the hierarchy slicer on published reports? I have one user that it seems to causing issues when he is using it. 

wvanpeel
Advocate II
Advocate II

Same issue here, since the July version.

I experienced the same issue in the July version but not immediately after the upgrade. I found out about this error after the gateway refresh started failing and narrowed the issue down to the hierarcy slicer. I replaced all the hierarcy slicers with the default slicer to solve the issue. Not ideal but at least the report and gateway work now.

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ALL,

In the version 2.48.4792.721 64-bit (July 2017) of Power BI Desktop, I reproduce the scenario and get the same error message. I have reported it internally. 

Best Regards,
Angelia

davidrmo

Same here. Didn't seem to correspond to an update to either Power BI Desktop or the visual, so it's a mystery what caused the error.

Such a useful visual, this is very unfortunate.

Hello,

Same here, you can reproduce the error with the file bellow : 

Link to PBIX with error on hierarchy slicer

Sauget Charles-Henri
chsauget@scop-it.com
www.scop-it.com

hqureshi
Regular Visitor

Hi

I am facing the same issue. Any help is appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.