Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Mardin
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Hierarchy Slicer - Unexpected Error

Hi,

Today I opened a .PBIX file where I use the Hierarchy Slicer. The moment after the report was opened in PowerBI Desktop I got this message:

-------

Unexpected Error
An error occured while rendering the report.

"Send a Frown"

-------

After doing some investigation I concluded that the Hierarchy Slicer was the source of this error. If I delete the custom visual I do not get the error. Imediately after I download it again from Office Store (through PowerBI Desktop) and put my dimension column in it I get the error.

This has never been an issue before. Anybody else experience this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

All,

I have submitted a new version for approval that fixes the 'unexpected error' and after approval it will be available asap.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks, JP

View solution in original post

58 REPLIES 58
LindaC
Frequent Visitor

I added a hierarchy slicer to my visual and it is not working.  It only displays the actual dates and does not display select year, month or quarter.  I have used it successfully in other reports and I don't think I did any special configuration.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Linda

himanshunegi07

any idea when this issu going to be fix ?

@Mardin wrote:

Hi,

Today I opened a .PBIX file where I use the Hierarchy Slicer. The moment after the report was opened in PowerBI Desktop I got this message:

-------

Unexpected Error
An error occured while rendering the report.

"Send a Frown"

-------

After doing some investigation I concluded that the Hierarchy Slicer was the source of this error. If I delete the custom visual I do not get the error. Imediately after I download it again from Office Store (through PowerBI Desktop) and put my dimension column in it I get the error.

This has never been an issue before. Anybody else experience this?

Hi,

This should be fixed with the current version available in the store.

Also all the reports that uses the HierarchySlicer are updated to the latest version automatically.

Are you still hitting this error? 

Thanks, Jan Pieter

This custom visual is now inexplicably breaking in all of my reports.  It worked fine last week, and not I get an "Unexpected Error", "An error occurred while rendering the report".  The problem can be duplicated by clicking on a parent element and then trying to deselect the parent element.

I just downloaded the visual and I am having the exact same issue. The error can be reproduced by selecting then deselecting the parent node.

There is also a bug where occasionally when deselecting a parent node does not deselect the children of the node.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems to be working OK on my system.  When was the last time you downloaded the custom visual? There was a problem a while back and I had to download an updated version.  I think that was a couple of months ago, so may not be the cause of your issue.

I am getting an error as of October 10th 2PM EST.

As of that time in Powerbi (not the desktop!)  all reports in our environment  with the hierarchy slicer are broken.

The lists do not show up properly, just big black lines.

Hi All,

As of today (Oct 10, 2017) my reports and dashboard with hierarchy slicers started malfunctioning. There seem to be multiple selection on and also when I drill down on 1st level to select sub-categories it doesn't select it. I haven't updated anything. It seem to happen by itself. I have noticed that clear all sign is also changed. I tried reinstalling the custom visual in desktop version but the error doesn't seem to go away.

any help please?

Regards,

Moez 

This custom visual is now inexplicably breaking in all of my reports.  It worked fine last week, and not I get an "Unexpected Error", "An error occurred while rendering the report".  The problem can be duplicated by clicking on a parent element and then trying to deselect the parent element.

Hierachy Slicer error.JPG

I have the error too. I get the symbols marked with yellow as an "extra" on Chrome only. On Desktop and Explorer works fine. 

Thanks

Yes it seems to be related to Chrome only, but fix is being reviewed.

Any idea on when the Hierarchy Slicer will be fixed in Desktop?  It is not working properly.  You can't see all the levels and you can't clear the selections.  Please help provide a fix.

There is a new version comming that fixes the following issues:

- Header issue where the three icons are showing way to big in Chrome

- Single select of top level that is not working

- Collapse/Expand all icons are not working

Currently this version is still in review before it can be released to everyone.

Thanks, Jan Pieter

embaud
Frequent Visitor

Not only related to chrome also in Desktop version. All hierarchy slicers affected showing black stripes and + signs. Also now visible in published environment. This reuqires urgent fixes, it is on of the most used custom visuals.

Thanks

For all the issues fixes are being release in the next couple of days/week. I am still dependant on a store approval before new version will start rolling out to everyone.

But I got reports that clearing the cache of either Chrome or Desktop will solve the issue. For Power BI Desktop you can remove the content of the C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop directory.

Thanks, JP

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you heard anything on when this would be approved? 

The newest update is already out v1.1.5.0

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks - when I looked at the detail it said 1..1.5, but then it also said it wasn't published yet.  I did download and it is working well.

Thanks!

I am just, as we speaking, updating the store description. And yes, the v1.1.5 version is general available.

But due to the approval cycle related to the Office store and when the visuals are available: it can take two weeks before a new version is available to users after store approval. So that is the reason that I submit the original description with the notice of 'not released' and after general available I update the description, but I am running behind on this one.

Thanks @jppp!

There's another issue I am experiencing with the Hierarchy Slicer. The slicer errors out if the 'Search' functionality is turned on. It works fine when we search something in the search bar, but errors out to 'Unexpected Error' when we try to make any selection without anything in the search bar. Do you have any suggestions?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.