Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Mardin
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Hierarchy Slicer - Unexpected Error

Hi,

Today I opened a .PBIX file where I use the Hierarchy Slicer. The moment after the report was opened in PowerBI Desktop I got this message:

-------

Unexpected Error
An error occured while rendering the report.

"Send a Frown"

-------

After doing some investigation I concluded that the Hierarchy Slicer was the source of this error. If I delete the custom visual I do not get the error. Imediately after I download it again from Office Store (through PowerBI Desktop) and put my dimension column in it I get the error.

This has never been an issue before. Anybody else experience this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

All,

I have submitted a new version for approval that fixes the 'unexpected error' and after approval it will be available asap.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks, JP

View solution in original post

58 REPLIES 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jppp wrote:

There is a new version comming that fixes the following issues:

- Header issue where the three icons are showing way to big in Chrome

- Single select of top level that is not working

- Collapse/Expand all icons are not working

Currently this version is still in review before it can be released to everyone.

Thanks, Jan Pieter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Jan,

i see that on all hierarchy slicers i am not able to go to the lower levels and is happening only in Chrome.We have many reports and dashboards that are using this control and we are facing this issue.

Also this issue is affecting only some users and for some users it is working fine.

Did your recent fix this issue?thanks in advance

Regards,

CLR

Anonymous
Not applicable

The regular silicers have an "eraser" on them. I thought this one did too, but it doesn't seem to be there now. Any chance it would added?

bdominek
Frequent Visitor

I am seeing similar behavior in IE11 too.

bdominek
Frequent Visitor

I am seeing similar in IE11 too.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yesterday this was working well.  When we had the issue last week it was in the desktop, but the published versions were ok. Today the slicer is not working in the published copy.  Anyone else having this issue?

I do not have any issues with the online version, but can you specify what is not working?

-JP

Anonymous
Not applicable

In published reports the Hierarchy slicer did nothing - none of the visuals on the screen changed.  I took the slicer off all tabs, and replaced it. Seems to be better today.  It was strange because last week when I got the error on the desktop the published reports had no issue.  Oh well... things seem better today!

Good to hear that it is now working. If you have problems, please let me know so I can take a look.

-JP

Anonymous
Not applicable

This seems to be fixed today.  So much better!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also just noticed that there doesn't seem to be a scroll in the slicer.  Hoping that is just on the desktop.  Seems OK in the published views. 

All,

I have submitted a new version for approval that fixes the 'unexpected error' and after approval it will be available asap.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks, JP

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great!  Any idea how long that usually takes?

Anonymous
Not applicable

<p>Any update on the resolution of this error? We use hierarchy slicers on almost every page of our reports since we report on multiple hierarchies. Making changes in Power BI Desktop is frustrating. Thank you!</p>

And the visual is still in approval/review phase. Unfortunatelly it is taking a little bit longer.

Thanks, JP

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jppp

Have you managed to identify what had caused the error? I mean I've started just recently see this error, but the report was created a month ago, as well as the slicer was added, and I really didn't change anything in Power BI config since the beginnig of July. So my point is, how reliable will be the new update of the slicer?  In case there is a chance that any new update of Power BI will resuscitate the bug, hmm,let's say it will make our reports rather unstable.

Sorry about all the issues it is causing, but an updated version is in beeing reviewed and after that asap released.

New version can always cause issues and this issue was missed during testing/reviewing. But I have learned what this caused and how to tackle/test this kind of issues in a next version.

nborn1
Frequent Visitor

@jppp Do you know approximately how soon the new version will be released? I want to be able to provide proactive communication to our senior leadership team regarding month-end reporting.

My expectation is Wednesday, but I cannot promise anything.

Could you please post the pbiviz file in the interim?

Unfortunately that wouldn't solve the problem as it will be overruled by the generic version available.

The new version is approved and published and is available soon as Power BI Desktop is using cache for custom visuals.

Thanks for all the support,

Jan Pieter

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.