Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Hierarchy Slicer Not working

Hi Team,

I am trying to use Hierarchy Slicer on my data in power bi desktop file however i am facing an issue "An error occured while rendering the report".

I already updated the latest version of power bi desktop, and still i am facing this issue from last couple of weeks.

Please see the below screenshot of the error.

Capture.PNG 

If anyone can help me out, how to solve this issue?

Thanks in Advance,

Ashish 

4 REPLIES 4
Tahreem24
Super User
Super User

Hi @Ashish_kumar12 ,

I am not facing this issue. (Screen shot is attched)

Try to close your file then open it again. 

Please give KUDOS and accept it as a solution if it helps!

icon.JPG

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard

Hi @Tahreem24 

I already closed my file so many times and applied that slicer however still facing that issue.

Do you have any other alternative ?

Thanks,

Ashish 

Hi @Ashish_kumar12 ,

Please follow steps below to see if it works.

1) Close all instances of Power BI Desktop

2) Open file explorer and navigate to the folder <system drive>:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\CEF\cache

• replace <system drive> with your operating system hard disk partition
  • replace <user> with your user profile name, typically the alias you login to Windows with

3) Delete all contents of this folder

4) Restart Power BI Desktop

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

atgeraci
Frequent Visitor

Hi, I have the same problem. And in fact I just realized it has also impacted my other custom visual that I use - the Chiclet Slicer. So this is more of a custom visual interaction with PBI problem as opposed to a specific custom visual that hasn't been created properly.

I tried following @Icey's advice but I am currently unable to find the cache location you mentioned (I am very computer literate, I am thinking that doesn't exist for me. I did multiple searches using Search Everything to find the file after trying to navigate to the file manually)

Then I hit upon this blog which details how to clear from within the PowerBI Desktop application. Once I cleared it I tried to use the slicer again. This failed as well.

Then I found the folder I think you were referencing. The path was this: 

<system drive>:\Users\<user>\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop Store App\CEF

I deleted the cache folder and restarted PBI and... no dice.

So then, I got a little bit clever (I think) and I deleted the Hierarchy Slicer custom visual from my report. Closed PBI and then deleted the aforementioned cache folder listed above. I re-opened the report and was met with success! I was able to add in new Hierarchy Slicers!

I was still unable to add new Chiclet Slicers though, so I deleted that custom visual next. Closed PBI, and reopened the file and re-imported the visual from the marketplace and that worked too.

TL;DR: I am not sure if the deletion of the cache folder is required but I know for sure that for me to make this work deleting the custom visual from the report and closing and reopening and re-importing the custom visual worked. (How to delete custom visuals below)

image.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.