Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hierarchy Filter Selection

Hi,

In my dataset, Program belongs to school and School belongs to the Centre. For example, Centre 2 has 4 Schools under it and they offer together 33 programs and School 2, one of the schools of Centre 2, offers 8 programs. 

Applications measure counts the number of rows in the fact table, ProgPerSchool counts distinct programs offered by a school, AppPerSchool counts Applications for a school, AppAverageSchool is AppPerSchool /ProgPerSchool. Similar measures are for Centre level too.

Applications =   CALCULATE ( DISTINCTCOUNT(Transactions[Transaction ID])  )

ProgPerCentre = CALCULATE (   DISTINCTCOUNT('Dim Programs'[Program Name]),
        ALLEXCEPT ( 'Dim Programs','Dim Programs'[Centre Name] )   )

AppPerCentre = CALCULATE([Applications],ALLEXCEPT('Dim Programs','Dim Programs'[Centre Name]))

Desire Result

For example, If I select the center 2 from the slicer, I want AppPerSchool only to show applications of schools for Centre2 and ProgPerSchool to show Programs of schools for Centre 2, not of the entire dataset.

Similarly, if I select School 12 which belongs to Centre2, I want AppPerCentre to show only applications of Centre 2 and ProgPerCentre to show programs for Centre 2, and not of the entire dataset.

Likewise, if I select a program which belongs to School 12 and Centre 2, I want to AppPerCentre and ProgPerCentre to show details of Centre2 and AppPerSchool and ProgPerSchool to show details of School 12.

Thanking you in advance for your time.

Top Level HierarchyTop Level Hierarchy2nd Level Hierarchy2nd Level HierarchyLow Level HierachyLow Level Hierachy

7 REPLIES 7
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

To make measure work as expected, you could measures as below

ProgPerSchool  

AppPerSchool

AppAverageSchool

pro_school = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Sheet1[program]),ALLEXCEPT(Sheet1,Sheet1[centre],Sheet1[school]))

application = DISTINCTCOUNT(Sheet1[transaction])

app_school = CALCULATE([application],ALLEXCEPT(Sheet1,Sheet1[centre],Sheet1[school]))

ave_school = [app_school]/[pro_school]

Capture1.JPG

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-juanli-msft , thanks for your time and guidance.

The measures that you & I created work the same.  What they don't do is that if I select a program, it should pick automatically average of avg_school and avg_centre for comparison, and right now I have to pick it manually. If the end-user does not select a school and center from slicers after selecting a program, the output will be wrong which I want to avoid.

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

On the first sheet, i just see a lot of Tables and that is what is causing a lot of confusion.  Please explain exactly which cell ha s problem, what answer are you expecting in that cell and why.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Ashish_Mathur ,

Thanks for the response.  I have some serious issue with DAX formula and filter context which gives an erroneous result.

The measures will produce the final output and values of the measure should vary depending on the slicer selection. The measures give correct output for centre selection but it breaks when I select a school from slicer or program from the slicer.

Measures that will be used as final outputMeasures that will be used as final output

When I select a school -1 from the slicer, the AppPerCentre and ProgPerCentre give output for the school-1 and not for centre -1.

School.PNG

Similarly, if when I select program-GGG111 which belongs to School-1 and Centre-1, the output for school and centre is completely inaccurate.

Program.PNG

Hi,

Given the multiple Tables there, i will take quite some time to understand your data structure and relationships.  I will not be able to help you with this - Sorry.  Someone else will help you.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
mussaenda
Super User
Super User

If i am not mistaken, it is because you are using the ALLEXCEPT function.

Try adding School name and program name on your allexcept

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @mussaenda ,

I tried it but does not resolve the issue. It works for the center but when I click school slicer, it does not work. 

If I click a school from the slicer, I want to see only detail of that school and detail of related center. Similarly, if I click a program from Program slicer, I want to see details of relates school and center besides that program.

School level does not workSchool level does not workProgram level does not workProgram level does not workCenter level workCenter level work

The link to file is here

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.