Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JTucker
Helper I
Helper I

Hierarchy Chart

I have reviewed all of the videos and blog posts and I have not been able to create a working Hierarchy chart using either the Akvelon Hierarchy, the new Org Chart or the TreeViz.  None of them gives a good description of the data structure requirements to make the chart work.  I am trying to create a drillable Bill of Materials chart. 

I have tried 3 different data structures with no success.  I tried:

• A single recursive table with only Parent and Child columns. Nothing displays when I add the parent and child to the chart.  When I try to add the Titles, it says that there is no root element and that there are multiple rows with the same ID.  I tried adding an empty column for Root, and using that as the parent, but that didn’t help either.  I’ve tried every possible combination of Titles and Subtitles and I either get no display or an error. It won’t allow me to turn on Nodes
  • 5 copies of the recursive table linking the child of one to the parent of the next. This doesn’t work because there are not unique child records on the parent side, because a child part can be used in multiple parent assemblies and PBI doesn’t allow non unique values on the left of 1:n joins.
  • 1 table with all of the levels (5) laid out horizontally. I didn’t think this would work but it was worth paying with.

My hope was that the single recursive table would do it.  I don’t need any measures, just the part numbers in the hierarchical visual. What am I missing?

I have the report in a matrix style, which is OK, but the drillable graphic would be better.  Is there somewhere the definitive guide to using any of these charts?

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JTucker,

It seems like you are using a third party custom visual, I'd like to suggest you direct contact to author to get more support.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Is there  a MSFT tree chart that is not one of the 3 I've tried?  The Org Chart was presented in the PBI June Release video, so I would assume it is endorsed and understood by MSFT.

HI @JTucker,

As you know, power bi has a custom visual team, they will publish some custom visuals and provide support for their visuals.
For custom visual published by other team or users, you need to contact to author for better support.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Again...  The Org Chart visual was presented as part of the June release video.  If this is not a visual that MSFT can help, with DOES MSFT HAVE A TREE VISTUL THAT IT DOES SUPPORT?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi JTucker,

I'm a little late to respond, but i think I'm tackling the same issue as you and I'm sure others will stumble upon your question and want a reasonable response.

I can't find any hierarchy visualisations created by Microsoft, however there are built in DAX functions for recursively building hierarchies and I believe the Akvelon hierarchy visual leverages those DAX functions.

To get either the DAX or the Akvelon visual working you'll need a table with a format like;

Part No | Parent Part No | Part Name | Part Type

You must have a single row for each Part No as a Part No can only have one parent, but a Parent Part No can appear multiple times as it can have multiple children.  The Part Name is your 'Title' in the Akvelon visual and 'Type' can be anything you want to dictate a colour scheme and legend.

Additionally, there must be a single root node with a Parent Part No of null, so for your application it might be some kind of artificial "Total System" part to bring the top level parts together.

eg; 

Part No | Parent Part No | Part Name                     | Part Type

0           |  null                  | Total System                  | Root Node

1           |  0                      | Parent Widget 1            | Parent Widget

2           |  0                      | Parent Widget 2            | Parent Widget

3           |  1                      | Child Widget 1              | Child Widget

4           |  1                      | Child Widget  2             | Child Widget

5           |  2                      | Child Widget 3              | Child Widget

You can find a working example here;

http://blog.pragmaticworks.com/power-bi-custom-visuals-hierarchy-chart-by-akvelon

Info on the DAX hierarchy functions is here;

http://radacad.com/parsing-organizational-hierarchy-or-chart-of-accounts-in-power-bi-with-parent-chi...

Hope this helps.

Cara

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.