Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

docjohn
Regular Visitor

Hierarchies- need some help

I have sucessfully created a drill down for heierarchies, which works fine.

but my data is available at each level of the hierarchy 

as such my graph sums, or averages (depending on what is set) all the values for all levels in the hierarchy,

so at the top level i get the sum or average of all the levels in one value

Is there a way to not get it to sum up the levels and just display the values for that one level

thanks john

6 REPLIES 6
austinsense
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

It's hard to understand exactly what your issue is - maybe show a screenshot?

Austin is VP Operations at PowerPivotPro and a professional self-service enthusiast 🙂

I have a table which contains a value for all my locations.

each location has a value

the locations are placed in a hierarchy and i have build a graph that drills down through the different levels

it works, but it sums or i my case averages the values

as it is averaging  all the values under the hierarchy structure, it does not give the value for that location

example

l1 3.5

l2a 3

l2b 3

l2c 4

the l1 value seem to be the average of all the values rather than 3.5

hope this clarifies

Note the size o fthe location differ so an average is not really any use

If I understand your issue - I think that I'm having the same one - and if so, perhaps I can give more details which may help others understand the problem.

I am building a dashboard to monitor/analyze our current sprints and there are only two levels for the drilldown.  At the highest level, I have a sum of the actual work and the estimated work broken down by iteration and then a multirow card to show the total numbers.  If I then create a third value - the average - when I drilldown to the actual task level, then the average would in fact be correct and this instance, the average actual work would be  87/12.  However, if no matter how I try to calculate the average at the parent (Iteration) level, it's always using the count of items at the task level.  What I want to do is to divide the 87 actual hours (at the iteration level) by the number of iterations (in this case, 3).  87/3 being the number that would represent the average actual work for tasks for the entire iteration.  I hope that this helps clarify the issue.  Screenshots of both levels as per below:

Child Task LevelChild Task LevelParent Iteration LevelParent Iteration Level

I know you've figured this out by now but you need to turn-off aggregation or set for "no aggregation" or average

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @docjohn

If I'm right, you want to see the numerci value on each level of your hierarchy without aggregation function, that's it?

I guess you cannot do it because drill down chart needs a aggregate value to display the item.

I think, the only way to do this (i.e : display the value belonging to the level) is to use the value concatenat with the level.

If I get you example, it will show :

Name / Value / New column

I1 / 3.5 / I1-3.5

I2a / 3 / I2a-3

I2b / 3 / I2b - 3

I2C / 4 / I2c-4

But unfortunately it going to be hard to use the new column as location. Sorry not to find a better solution. Hope it helps anyway.

Sébastien

I still have no idea what the issue is

Austin is VP Operations at PowerPivotPro and a professional self-service enthusiast 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.