Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

valleyman
Helper I
Helper I

Hierarchies in Tables

I am still learning how to use PBI, so apologies.

Let's say, as an example, I have a table that shows sales quantities for salesmen and they work in different departments. The table is effectively as follows:

Name, Department, Number Sold

I have created a standard, stacked column chart with Department and Name as Axis, and Number Sold for the Values. I would like to have the chart show the AVERAGE Number Sold when looking at the Department level of the hierarchy, and then show the INDIVIDUAL Number sold when clicking the down-arrow option to drill down for each member of that department. Is this possible? Any advice would be gratefully received. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
valleyman
Helper I
Helper I

Please ignore me, I was an idiot. I assumed that if I selected Average for Numbers Sold at the top level, that it would somehow skew the individual numbers when I drilled down. It doesn't. I changed it to Average from Sum at the top level, which shows me the average Numbers Sold for all the departments. Then, when I drilled down, it showed me the individual people. 

Thanks to everyone for your assistance, though!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
valleyman
Helper I
Helper I

Please ignore me, I was an idiot. I assumed that if I selected Average for Numbers Sold at the top level, that it would somehow skew the individual numbers when I drilled down. It doesn't. I changed it to Average from Sum at the top level, which shows me the average Numbers Sold for all the departments. Then, when I drilled down, it showed me the individual people. 

Thanks to everyone for your assistance, though!

Adescrit
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

HI @valleyman 

You could build this functionality into the DAX used to create the measure in the stacked column chart.

For example: 

Average Number Sold Per Seller = 

SUM(Table[Number Sold]) / DISTINCTCOUNT(Table[Name])

When you drill down into a particular seller, the distinct count will be 1 do the measure will return the total sales for that seller.

Hopefully this works but please let me know.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
My LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors