cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
empoweredbi

Hiding underlying data in a report

Competitor software gives the ability to save reports as "packaged workbooks", which allow users to see & interact with a report but NOT see its underlying raw data. Is there any way to do this in Power BI? 

For instance, if I create a report in Power BI Desktop and save it, then email it to someone, they can see all of the underlying data in that report. Is there any way to disable this / hide the underlying data from viewers? 

I understand that this is possible in Power BI Service, but I want to do be able to do this in Power BI Desktop and without requiring users to sign into anything (e.g. for RLS).

3 REPLIES 3
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @empoweredbi ,

There is no such option for it now. I suggest you create an idea for it in https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas to improve the power bi.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

DataZoe
Super User
Super User

@empoweredbi No, I don't think that is possible. 

Respectfully,
DataZoe

See my reports and blog at https://www.datazoepowerbi.com/

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@empoweredbi , No Power Bi desktop is meant for development and power bi file(pbix), you can not restrict it.

You should use a power bi service.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!! !!
Dashboard of My Blogs !! Connect on Linkedin

Learn Power BI Beginners !! Advance Power BI Concepts !! Power BI For Tableau User !! Learn Power BI in Hindi !!
Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

November Power BI Update 768x460.png

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the November 2021 Updates!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.