Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SV_community
Frequent Visitor

Hiding past and future dates in a table that has no dates based on max and min date in another table

Hi

We have a budget table that has no date attribute. THere is a fixed budget for a project. This is strictly a fact table that contains several budget attributes like Original, Current and Projected Budget. There is a requirement from business to be able to plot expenses/cost and the budget in the same table or graph. The cost table (again a fact table) has the posted date that is connected to calendar table.

So when I plot budget measure and expense measures together, the expensese plot fine because they have a date on that table. The Buget starts from the earliest date in Calendar table and goes well out in the future (expected as there is no relationship with calendar table).

I have been told to not add any calculated columns in the model. I tried this approach documented here. This helps me to avoid showing future dates but dates much before the min (post date) show up.

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/hiding-future-dates-for-calculations-in-dax/

Here is what I have tried so far:

GC Current Budget Cost = VAR LastDayAvailable =
CALCULATE (
MAX ( 'Expense'[Ref Date] ),
ALL ( 'Calendar' )
)
VAR FirstDayInSelection = Min('Calendar'[Date])
VAR ShowData =
(FirstDayInSelection <= LastDayAvailable)
VAR Result =
IF (ShowData,[GC Current Budget Cost])

RETURN Result

When I replace the FirstDayinSelection variable=CALCULATE (
MIn ( 'Expense'[Ref Date] ),
ALL ( 'Calendar' )
), then in fact I end up with both past and future dates showing up

I tried using Datesbetween but I cannot use them with varaibles

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I tweaked the code and it works now. The Var ShowData was only filtering future dates.

GC Current Budget Cost 2 = VAR LastDayAvailable =
    CALCULATE (
        MAX ( 'Job Cost Detail'[Ref Date]),
        ALL ( 'Calendar' )
    )
VAR FirstDayInCalendar =
    MIN ( 'Calendar'[Date] )
Var  MinDayAvailable=
CALCULATE(MIN('Job Cost Detail'[Ref Date]),all ('Calendar'))
VAR ShowData =
    (FirstDayInCalendar<= LastDayAvailable && FirstDayInCalendar>=MinDayAvailable)
VAR Result =
    IF (
        ShowData,
        CALCULATE (
            [GC Current Budget Cost]
        ))

RETURN Result

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@SV_community what is the actual issue? What you are trying to achieve? Share sample data and expected output.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

I tweaked the code and it works now. The Var ShowData was only filtering future dates.

GC Current Budget Cost 2 = VAR LastDayAvailable =
    CALCULATE (
        MAX ( 'Job Cost Detail'[Ref Date]),
        ALL ( 'Calendar' )
    )
VAR FirstDayInCalendar =
    MIN ( 'Calendar'[Date] )
Var  MinDayAvailable=
CALCULATE(MIN('Job Cost Detail'[Ref Date]),all ('Calendar'))
VAR ShowData =
    (FirstDayInCalendar<= LastDayAvailable && FirstDayInCalendar>=MinDayAvailable)
VAR Result =
    IF (
        ShowData,
        CALCULATE (
            [GC Current Budget Cost]
        ))

RETURN Result

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.