Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hiding columns if blank

Hello,

I am currently having issues with the following case:

I have a table that groups different types of information, with 40 columns, but each case has values in a different columns. Example:

Type-Col 1_Col 2_Col 3_Col 4

A --- -X-----X----" "----" " -

A --- -X-----X----" "----" "--

B --- -X-----X----" "---- X --

C --- -X ----" "---" "----" " -

D --- " " ----X----" "----X- -

D --- " " ----X----" "----X- -

E --- " " --- "  " -- X ----" " -

Meaning X: has data, " " does not have data (a blank). Is it possible in Power BI to construct one table with all colums and, when I filter by Type (A, B, C, D, E), it only shows the columns does contain data?

I have tried by leaving the column with no name, and it would do the tick, but then I don't know which value X it is showing.

Regards,

Antonio

7 REPLIES 7
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Unfortunately, it is not possible to hide/show column conditionally based on slicer selection. Here is a similar idea, you could click to vote it up.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
zoloturu
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Anonymous,

It is not supported in Power BI. 

You can also check similar thread - http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Conditionally-display-columns-based-on-options-in-report-filters/td-p/39107

Anonymous
Not applicable

That was something I was almonst certain, but maybe there is some who knows a trick or a custom visual that allows to do this basic task.

Thanks,

Antonio

@Anonymous,

You can play with R scripting in a way to remove columns (which called variables in R) if first value in column is NULL.

Run R scriptRun R script

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

This wouldn't work as the columns would be deleted in the query phase, right?

What I need is a 20-values column that, depending on the data, auto-filters to only either 10, 12 or 15 of those columns, without having blank columns, as it gives unnecesary information and creastes a horizontal scroll I definitely not want.

This feature is a must, but I don't see neither many votes in the Ideas about this issue nor any announcement to include it in following PBI releases.

Regards

@Anonymous,

Actually if you will load R script which will take only not empty columns from your data source and in Power BI M script you will not do any column specific transformation then it will work properly. Let me know if this is not clear.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I don't know about R, could you share some code so I can start bulding the tabla in R?

Thanks,

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.