Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hola
Frequent Visitor

Hiding a column in Matrix but not in total

Hi, 

I am struggling to figure out how we can hide a column in matrix but not in total section or in other words, I would like to add a additional column in total section other than totals of values in matrix. The workaround which I found is turning off word wrap in the matrix setting and dragging the field I wanted to hide. However there is a problem in this solution. whenever there is a change in slicer then matrix is showing the column for the new data which I want to hide. 

Could anyone help me how to hide the column in the matrix even new data shows up in matrix by changing the slicers/filters?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'm not sure what the problem is regarding changing the value in the slicer. See this example (both "word wrap" and "Auto-size column width are truned off in the formatting options):

Hide Column2.gif

To ensure that the column remains blank, use a measure along the lines of (in the above example, where I renamed the measure to "Previous Year" in the visual):

Hide Previous Year = IF(ISINSCOPE('DIM Product Ref'[Product REF]), BLANK(), [Previous Year])

If you need two columns of values per period, you can also create a hybrid table (attached is the sample file):

2 period columns.JPG

To be able to help you with creating a hybrid matrix please provide a sample dataset or PBIX file to work on, together with a depiction of the matrix you need.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

See if this post helps:

Creating a custom or hybrid matrix

Or you can try turning off the "auto width" option in the formatting pane under columns and drag the column width to hide it

Paul on Linkedin.

Nopes, this post does not help. Moreover, this is the simple feature and I am wondering if Power BI is not providing this feature. 

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

There is currently no option to turn off elements/columns in a matrix. You either try hiding the column using the auto-width option in the formatting pane or create a custom matrix layout.

Paul on Linkedin.

Hiding the column using the auto-width option is not working as when i change the value from date slicer it is showing me hided column for new data so the only option left is to go for custom layout for matrix.  Could you please provide me sample pibx file  of custom layout which hides one of the column in the matrix and keeping it in total section?

thanks

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@hola 

I've attached the sample file to the message

Paul on Linkedin.

Hola @PaulDBrown , 

The solution, you attached is working when you have one column in the matrix view for date dimension which is month is your solution  but is not valid if you have lets say 2 columns in the matrix  for the date dimension So Could you please help me how to have more than one column in the matrix View?

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'm not sure what the problem is regarding changing the value in the slicer. See this example (both "word wrap" and "Auto-size column width are truned off in the formatting options):

Hide Column2.gif

To ensure that the column remains blank, use a measure along the lines of (in the above example, where I renamed the measure to "Previous Year" in the visual):

Hide Previous Year = IF(ISINSCOPE('DIM Product Ref'[Product REF]), BLANK(), [Previous Year])

If you need two columns of values per period, you can also create a hybrid table (attached is the sample file):

2 period columns.JPG

To be able to help you with creating a hybrid matrix please provide a sample dataset or PBIX file to work on, together with a depiction of the matrix you need.

Paul on Linkedin.

Hi Paul,

I have downloaded your sample file "Hybrid Matrix 2 cols.pbix" and it is exactly what I am looking for. However I cannot see how to set it with 2 columns on page Hybrid 2 columns, what is the different between that page and Hybrid page. I try to place "value" from "Hybrid Table" into Columns of the matrix, but no changed.

Please help.

Thanks in advance

expand.gifBy the sound of it I would wager that you need to expand the columns to the lowest level, since there is a hierarchy of fields in the column bucket

Paul on Linkedin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.