Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

appsac
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hiding Matrix row headers

I have created an income statement using a Matrix visual.  I have created 5 measures named 1-5.  Each measure uses the blank() function.  Example:  1=blank().  This allows me to insert blank rows in my Matrix visual to make the income statement more readable.  However, I cannot hide the row headers so that the user cannot see them.  Any ideas?  Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Try this:

1. Create measues:  

1 = blank()
2 = blank()
etc.

2. Add measures to your matrix where you want a blank line:

appsac_0-1633122573119.png

3. Use field formatting to make foreground and background white for your new measures;

appsac_1-1633122692573.png

It should look like this:

appsac_2-1633122726101.png

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@appsac in field formatting you can change the foreground and background color the same to hide the header.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Thanks for the feedback parry2k.  I assume when you say foreground color you are referring to font color.  Under field formatting, I have the font color and the background color both set to white. This hides the values but not the row header.  I need to hide both.  Here is screen shot of what matrix row headers look like today:

matrix_sample_row_headers.jpg

There is an option below the Field Formatting where you can choose whereyou want to apply the Format you made.

Untitled.png

I have "Apply to header" turned on, but it does not affect the header at all.matrix_sample_field_formatting.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

You will be able to hide the font in the Row Headers if you change the font color and background color to white.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/hide-matrix-headers/m-p/498078#M232309

Currently it doesn't seem that it is an option to change just one or a few Column Headers though, although there are a few workarounds. 

1. You can try naming them with " " (i.e blank or space)
  2. You could create a rectangle shape and change it to match your background and just cover the column names

Hi, In my case, "" or blank is not letting me hide the field name. Any other suggestions?

Try this:

1. Create measues:  

1 = blank()
2 = blank()
etc.

2. Add measures to your matrix where you want a blank line:

appsac_0-1633122573119.png

3. Use field formatting to make foreground and background white for your new measures;

appsac_1-1633122692573.png

It should look like this:

appsac_2-1633122726101.png

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I tried to leave the measure name blank or add a space for the name but I get the message "model object names must be non-empty".  I tried to hide the row header with a text box but the text box renders in different locations on the page depending on whether the user is viewing the report from a desktop, laptop, or ipad due to different screen sizes.  In other words, the text box may hide a valid row header.  

It can be maddening to do something in Excel so easily, like hiding or removing a row header, and so difficult or impossible in Power BI.  If anybody has a eureka moment, please share 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

The best solution i have came to was using the "shapes" figures, selecting a rectangle and applying the white color to both line and fill.

It seens to work like i wanted to, do you know if this is in anyway different to text box and background color? Can't test right now to different screen sizes i guess.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is indeed a shame. The thing is if you turn off "Show on rows", then formatting the field will actually work as expected by aligning the font color to the background. But if you turn this on, then it will not work at all. Power BI still needs to make small things work as intended while adding new and cool stuff.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.