Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nsadams87xx
Helper III
Helper III

Hiding Columns in Matrix

I'm sorry for cluttering the forum a bit.  Is there a way I can hide those blank and infinity columns in a Matrix visual?  Not handle the blank or infinity but actually completely hide them?measure.JPGHide percentage.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @nsadams87xx ,

Believe that the best option is the one you already have, and hiding the columns, having seperated tables for the calculation of each year will increase the difficulty and complexity of your database.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
JamesHammett

On a related topic how would I hide the three columns highlighted yellow for FY23 whilst keeping the same columns for FY22 

JamesHammett_0-1680775947404.png

Hi  @JamesHammett ,

You need to reduce the size of the columns until they are hidden, be aware that you need to turn off word wrap for titles on columns and values.

Regards

Miguel Félix

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi  @nsadams87xx ,

On Matrix visualizations when you add a measure /column with and hierarchy in the Column headers all the Measures/columns added get repeated on all the hierarchy, the only way to remove this columns is to turn off wrap text on column headers and values and then resize those columns (drag from the edge of the column as in excel) until you don't see them.

Visual filters or some other work arounds don't work, you can only turn on / off columns on total or subtotals, on values you need to reduce the size.

Regards

Miguel Félix

So best practice then:

I'm getting this data based off of a SQL query.  Should I just make two queries to get the data and have two separate tables, one for 2019 and one for 2020 and just use a grid?  Or can I use a grid with my current data model and maybe do a pivot somehow?

This is the format my user is looking for.

format for volume.JPG

Hi @nsadams87xx ,

Believe that the best option is the one you already have, and hiding the columns, having seperated tables for the calculation of each year will increase the difficulty and complexity of your database.

Regards

Miguel Félix

I worked with the user and got them to accept using a Matrix by having the Months as the 2nd level in the hierarchy rather than wanting an "Excel" look.  Thanks for your help!

@nsadams87xx 

You may check if the post below helps.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Matrix-Add-some-blanks-Column-to-separate-2-measures/m-p/88...

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

You have to create a measure for denominator and use that a visual filter

[Denom] <> 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.