Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hiding A Sorting Row in A Matrix

Please help me with my Matrix.

I have a matrix I created so that users can drill down to lower levels to see what values live underneath them.

The problem I am having is that I want to sort by a numerical value that must not be displayed visually.  This is because the numerical values translate to a text value that WILL be displayed, but not sorted on.

For instance, we have sorted in the proper order:

Cash

Marketable Securities

Accounts Receivable

Allowance

Notes Receivable

A picture says it all, so I will paste my workspace here.  Sorry, but the community forums won't let me make this any bigger:

PowerBI.JPG

Here is a bigger version:

PowerBI2.JPG

You can see that I have "LEVEL", which displays as a number, such as 1000, 1010, 1020, and so on.  This is what I am using to sort by.  I still need to maintain this sort, but eliminate the display of these sort numbers and the "Total" that it is printing for these sort numbers.  That way we only see, with no blank lines or other values:

Cash                                           $..............

Marketable Securities                $..............

Accounts Receivable                  $..............

Allowance                                   $..............

Notes Receivable                        $..............

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous 

Please select the column you want to sort first.Then click sort by column.Attached the sample file for reference.

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

So is there no way to do this?  My question just got pushed to the second page of the forum.  Can anyone recommend any other forums where there are more Power BI Users?

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bump

Hi @Anonymous 

You may use Sort by column for Account Subgroup column like below.

1.png

Regards,

Cherie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cherie,

The sort by column button is greyed out for me so that I cannot select it.  I should also reiterate that I am using a matrix, which might have different rules for use with regard to sorting, no?

I did find information out there on how to sort on a hidden column for a "Table" visualization and a "Chart" visualization, but not for a "Matrix" visualization.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Hi @Anonymous 

Please select the column you want to sort first.Then click sort by column.Attached the sample file for reference.

Regards,

Cherie

Anonymous
Not applicable

None of these suggestions work.

After much research by my boss and I, we are going to have Microsoft get involved and tell us how to make this work.

I simply want to sort by a hidden column in a Matrix.  I should be able to add a column field to the Matrix, or a query, or a Dax created field, and sort it, then somehow hide it.

Hi @Anonymous , its actually quite a simple process to do what you need. It's just difficult to describe in words. I've made a little video for you. The trick is sorting the AccountSubGroup field by the LEVEL field (make sure your Level field is already sorted in ascending order). Here you go:

How to sort a matrix by a "hidden" field: https://youtu.be/n7VYW-vfCrY

Hi @michellepace

And what do you about ordering a table of financial statements, when you have repeated classifications because of the comparison year?, like this case. Power BI doesnt let me sort by [Índice] because of the repeated rows.

Captura.JPG

Thanks for the youtube video. Without it I wouldnt have got this working, I didnt realise you had to order the specific column by the column you want to sort by (I can see why describing it is difficult). 

Anyway thanks 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.