Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hide zero values of measures in line graph in future months, but not in previous months

Hi there,

I have a line graph with two lines: 1) a measure showing number of Google Analytics (GA) sessions per month for Current Year (CY), 2) a measure showing number of Google Analytics (GA) sessions per month for Previous Year (PY). For some months, there are no values, which causes the graph to show gaps. In order to solve this, I added 0 to the measure that calculates the number of sessions. But now, it also shows zeros for future months, which makes sense, but it is not desired.

GAsessionsCY =

CALCULATE (

[Visits] + 0;

'Google Analytics'[Year] = YEAR(TODAY())

)

GAsessionsPY =

CALCULATE (

[Visits] + 0;

'Google Analytics'[Year] = YEAR(TODAY()) - 1

)

Visits = SUM('Google Analytics'[Sessions])

I have tried the idea of the first part of the following article, but I think this doesn't work because of the addition of 0 to the measure and this article assumes blanks:

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/hiding-future-dates-for-calculations-in-dax/

So this resulted in the following:

GAsessionsCY =

CALCULATE (

[Visits];

CALCULATETABLE('Date';'Date'[DatesWithSessions] = TRUE);

'Google Analytics'[Year] = YEAR(TODAY())

)

GAsessionsPY =

CALCULATE (

[Visits];

'Google Analytics'[Year] = YEAR(TODAY()) - 1

)

Or, if I use the Date dimension properly:

GAsessionsCY =

CALCULATE (

[Visits];

'Date'[Year] = YEAR(TODAY())

)

GAsessionsPY =

CALCULATE (

[Visits];

'Date'[Year] = YEAR(TODAY()) - 1

)

I guess what I'm really trying to do, is to get the measures to calculate only for months before the current month. So I tried applying the logic of the CALCULATETABLE to the [Visits] measure, but without any success.

So can anyone help me in this? It's driving me crazy! Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous , 

I am not clear about your requirement, if possible could you please inform me more detailed information(such as your expected output and your sample data )? Then I will help you more correctly.

Please do mask sensitive data before uploading.

Thanks for your understanding and support.
Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Basically I want the encircled part of the line to disappear, given the measures mentioned in my original post, without zero values disappearing in months in the past:

GAsessions.png

Hello

I wish you could know that you could solve this problem. I am analyzing graphs that also compare this year with past years and the future months represent them with 0, which is not correct. Thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have this same issue when i'm presenting 12 months of forecasted data and am showing comparative actual data by it's side but only have a subset of the months (5 months for example) so the remaining 7 months baseline to zero. I fixed this in excel by creating a fake error of #N/A which nulled the value from the graph but PowerBi doesn't accept the text in a value column, so I don't have that option here. Was a solution for this ever found?

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous , 

You could refer to my sample for details. Two methods: create relationship between calendar table and fact table or create relationship between fact table and table (2), because I don't know your data structure, you could choose one of these.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors