Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hide visuals' errors

Hi community! 

Is there any way to detect connection errors or errors in visuals to avoid showing the typical "X" images in the report's visuals? Our users are requiring to show a kind of "mask" (watermark element) to avoid the errors been shown. 

These are not necesarily "errors", it may happen the visual has no data and still shows error. 

Regards! 

7 REPLIES 7
smiglo
Frequent Visitor

Hi I'm raising that subject again. This is about visual errors appearing for example when you try to refresh data from azure analysis services model which is not processed. All visuals get this ugly X mark and the message . In case of power bi embedded erreor handling can be done with javascript. What about error handling on a report data source?

If I'm anole to capture it in dax I could format a rectangle or a text box and hide all dashboard. Anyone knows how to capture visual refresh error in dax ?
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous can you confirm what you mean by error? Can you share example/screen shot? If error is coming because of no data it means the measure used to displaying the value can be updated for better error handling.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm talking about a "Can't display the visual" and "Blank" type of errors. 

The requierement is that if any visual of the file has an error or is blank, to show a watermark over the page saying "contact your administrator" 

Regards,

@Anonymous well blank you can control, example a measure below does sum of the amount, if sum is blank it give message otherwise sum value is converted to text and it returns that

My Measure = 
VAR s = SUM( Table[Amount] )
RETURN
IF ( ISBLANK( s ), "Contract Admin", FORMAT( s, "#####0.00" ) )

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! 

This solution would have to be measure by measure, right? Beside, the blank can be handled, but visuals' native errors won't... 

We had previously some issues with custom visuals that stopped working with the Desktop's upgrades. 

Regards! 

@Anonymous visual native error is surely different issue and not sure you can control it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Isn't there a DAX function or report property that shows if there's any errors in the report? 

I've been looking, but the closest are the ISERROR or IFERRROR functions and are limited to the measure scope, not the entire page or file.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.