Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hide tables resets to Unhidden with data refresh

Hello all,

I am hiding tables to allow for report visuals to retain their "Export" data capabilities while restricting Analyze in Excel (it will only analyze unhidden tables).

Every time I refresh data in a .pbix file, any Hidden tables become Unhidden.  This must be a bug, but anyone know a workaround?

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@v-yuta-msft  The answer to keeping tables hidden in report view when refreshing a model in desktop is to do the refresh from the Data table view.  When you do that...all hidden tables remain hidden in report view and "analyze in excel" does not see them either.  (The purpose is to work around the issue where turning off "analyze in excel" can only be done if you also turn off "export" data from visuals as well.)

Tom

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi ThomasDay,

"Every time I refresh data in a .pbix file, any Hidden tables become Unhidden."

<--- Could you share some screenshot and clarify more details about what you have done?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

@v-yuta-msft  Hello Jimmy Tao,

Sure.  I have hidden every table in a model using the elipsis and Hide Table in Report View.

Screenshot 2018-10-03 09.24.50.png

When I then refresh the model like so:

Screenshot 2018-10-03 09.13.10.png

The end result is the following where you can see most tables are no longer hidden.  Tables sourced from SQL or as an xlxs file seem to remain hidden as is the formulas file since there is no source file for it.  

Screenshot 2018-10-03 09.16.50.png

Let me know what you think and thanks,

Tom

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@v-yuta-msft  The answer to keeping tables hidden in report view when refreshing a model in desktop is to do the refresh from the Data table view.  When you do that...all hidden tables remain hidden in report view and "analyze in excel" does not see them either.  (The purpose is to work around the issue where turning off "analyze in excel" can only be done if you also turn off "export" data from visuals as well.)

Tom

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.