Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bkoblinger
Frequent Visitor

Hide/do not display empty columns in a matrix visual

I have a re-occuring design problem. I have data that is organized in a tall or key-value format, with two key columns. However, some of the values are numbers, whereas others are text. I currently have the data organised like this:

image.png

I would like to display the data in a matrix visual, but I end up with a number of empty columns. Note the Comment-Value column contains only nulls.

image.png

Is there some way to hide these columns or do this differently?

Is there a more suitable data structure?

(Yes, I could pivot Key2 onto the columns; however, when I define a calculated measure I have to define one for 2018 and one for 2019, etc., and this I would rather avoid, as in reality Key2 takes on far more values).

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Frank,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I did find one work around that will satisfy my needs. It means the comments are shown on the rows, but it looks OK for my need.

I have accomplished this by duplicating the text field(Comment) for Key1, and putting the Comment on the row, along with Key1, as shown in the example below.

image.png

image.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bkoblinger ,

There is no such an visibility option that supports to conditionally hide/show column in Matrix. You can come up a new idea about that and add your comments there to improve Power BI and make this feature coming sooner.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi @Frank,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I did find one work around that will satisfy my needs. It means the comments are shown on the rows, but it looks OK for my need.

I have accomplished this by duplicating the text field(Comment) for Key1, and putting the Comment on the row, along with Key1, as shown in the example below.

image.png

image.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.