Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hide blank columns Multi-Row Card View

Hello,

I'm trying to use a Multi-card view to display the results of a change intake form. Only the values being changed on the intake form need to be displayed. I'm new to Power BI and wondering if there's a way to hide any values that are blank. Example attached.

Card Summary.png

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

You can hide the blank value using a Conditional Formatting rule on the Value. The rule is 'if blank' then select the same color as the card or canvas background. 

I have created a video tutorial on how to create the conditional rule in data cards, it should work the same in Multi Row cards : https://youtu.be/Xsmbfpa4oCA

biancagilly_1-1652137235851.png

Cheers, Bianca

Hi Bianca,

Unfortunately this option does not work, because you need to pick a field as a condition, what will happen is that if that specific field is blank , the entire multi card value color will become the color of the background defined in the example given above, that would mean the entire content would be "hidden" including fields with values.

Has anyone else found a solution for this? I am facing the same problem. Seeing the "(Blank)" fields in the report is really not appealing but I can't seem to be able to format at a value by value level.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @DiogoMartinsCMO
If you don't like the blank card, you can create a measure to display zero instead of Blank.

Below is a  DAX example for a distinct count of results.

# Results (blank free) =
var results = DISTINCTCOUNT('Table_name'[column_name])
return
IF(ISBLANK(results),0,results)

The variable counts rows; if the count equals 0, display 0; otherwise, display count.

I have a similar problem.  To get the measure to deliver a 0 result instead of a BLANK() is not a problem.  However, a 0 does not solve my problem.  If my measure delivers blank, it is because the number can't be computed, it is UNKNOWN.  Unknown is not the same as 0.  So ideally I would like an empty string in that case, but the measure does not allow me to return a text in a measure that otherwise delivers a decimal.  Conditional formatting or filter on the multi-row card does not work, because then BOTH values disappear, not just the one I don't want (I have two values on the card).  Does anyone have an idea?

Hi @joarvat 

In this case if you want to present the logic on a card the best option is to create an additional metric that you use only on the card, since has you refer the metric needs to be converted to text just use one of the logic below:

MEasure VAlue = IF([Measure] = BLANK(), "", [Measure])

Measure Value = COALESCE([Measure], "")

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Hi @DiogoMartinsCMO ,

Have you tried wraping your metric on a COALESCE? that will return the value has empty try the following code:

METRIC = COALESCE ( SUM(Table[Column], "")

Be aware that this metric cannot be used then on a chart because the values that have blaknbs being replaced

Regards

Miguel Félix

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

Go to the visual filters and select the option to not show blanks, should work.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @MFelix ,

I'm currently displaying a multi-row card in my report, and I also want to display only the values that are not blank. I tried to use the filter of the visual as suggested but it is impossible for me to make it work; it's like frozen. Indeed I can't click and change the menu "Show items when the value is:", neither define a value, neither apply a filter. I tried to relaunch PowerBI and create a new visual but it is still not working. Do you have any idea why?

Thanks,

Mailys

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.