Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hide a field in a chart but show it in a table

I am very new to PowerBI.  I have a simple requirement, but I can't figure out how to do it.
I have a table with 3 values, "Company", "Matched", and "Unmatched".  The "Matched" and "Unmatched" columns are integer values.
I want to show a pie chart that shows the total of all "Matched" and "Unmatched" ONLY.  I have that working.  However, I need to be able to click on it somehow and show a table of all THREE columns, so that the user can see the "Matched" and "Unmatched" by company. 

Is there a way to do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

Go to query editor>right click on the table in the queries>select duplicate:

Annotation 2020-04-07 151232.png

2.Select column matched and unmatched>then go to menu bar> under "transform">click on "unpivot columns":

3,Back to report view>right click on the pie chart >"show data point as a table":

Annotation 2020-04-07 152150.png

Finally you will see:

Annotation 2020-04-07 152314.png

For the related .pbix file,pls click here.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

The information you have provided is not making the problem clear to me. Can you please explain with an example. Can you share sample data and sample output.

Appreciate your Kudos.

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, here's what the raw data looks like:

rawdata.PNGI have a pie chart that only shows the sum of ALL Matched vs. Not Matched, like this:

chart.PNG

What I want is to be able to click somewhere on the pie chart and show the raw data, which includes the company, so they can see Matched vs. Not Matched by company.  As it is, if I click on the 3 dots and select "show data", I only get Matched and Unmatched, not the company, since I didn't include it on the pie chart. 

I basically want to "hide" the company from the pie chart, and see it on the "show data", or something that will give me the equivalent. I don't want the raw data to show up unless I click on the pie chart.  I kind of want to "drill down" on the pie chart to show the raw data.

Does that make my intent clearer?

Hi @Anonymous ,

On your Pie Chart, you can move the COMPANY column to the Tooltips area.

In this way it is not shown on the pie-chart but when you click "Show as a table" option, you get all of your 3 columns.

Does this resolve what you are trying to achieve?

If this helps and resolves the issue, appreciate a Kudos and mark it as a Solution! 🙂

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

When I drag "Company" to the Tooltips area, it gets changed to "FIRST Company", and so the table listing only shows the first company (along with the totals?).  I don't see any way for it to show ALL Company values.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Go to query editor>right click on the table in the queries>select duplicate:

Annotation 2020-04-07 151232.png

2.Select column matched and unmatched>then go to menu bar> under "transform">click on "unpivot columns":

3,Back to report view>right click on the pie chart >"show data point as a table":

Annotation 2020-04-07 152150.png

Finally you will see:

Annotation 2020-04-07 152314.png

For the related .pbix file,pls click here.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure what the purpose of duplicating the query and doing "unpivot" is, but simply right-clicking on my original chart and selecting "show data point as table" (without doing that part) is doing exactly what I wanted.  Thanks!

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can create 2 visuals on your report:

1. Pie chart - Matched, Unmatched counts (you have already got it)

2. Table visual - Drag all three columns here ( "Company", "Matched", and "Unmatched")

Now, when you click on "Matched" area on your pie-chart, the table visual just gets filtered for this selection.

These are known as visual interactions in Power BI. Refer following link for details:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-reports-visual-interactions

If this helps and resolves the issue, appreciate a Kudos and mark it as a Solution! 🙂

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the answer -- but I'm afraid I need more detail.  I don't want the detail of all the fields to show _at all_ unless you click on the pie chart. I'm afraid I don't really understand your answer.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.