Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jorio
Frequent Visitor

Hide Time on a Continuous Date Axis

TL;DR: How can I set a continuous date axis to not display times of day (12AM, 6AM, etc) when it is very zoomed in?

I want to create a visualisation (a column chart, and later a line chart as well) which shows the total value of a metric across many sites for many days. Currently I have about a month's worth of data, and expect it to increase. When all the data is shown together (first image, note that dummy data is used) it works perfectly.

However, I also would like to filter to a single site, and most of these sites only have values for a few days. As a result, when filtered, the graph only shows data for a short span of time, and the continuous date axis takes it upon itself to fill in all that empty space with overly precise timestamps (second image). So instead of just displaying "17 Jun", it shows "17 Jun 12AM", "17 Jun 6am", "17 Jun 12PM" and "17 Jun 6PM". I have received complaints that this behaviour is confusing readers. Does anyone know how to prevent Power BI from doing this? Tips and workarounds to get a similar effect would also be appreciated.

I have tried setting the data type to categorical, in which case every single date is printed in full and the full view is very difficult to read. I have also tried setting the x-axis to always have a min of Jun 1, which only prevents the behaviour from happening by stretching out the axis to be almost entirely empty.

23_7 1.PNG23_7 2.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jorio ,

As stated there isn't a proper way to format or change the values of the axis whilst in continuous mode. To make Power BI better, you can submit your request at Power BI Ideas and vote it up.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jorio ,

As stated there isn't a proper way to format or change the values of the axis whilst in continuous mode. To make Power BI better, you can submit your request at Power BI Ideas and vote it up.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pls can you try removing time part from column and just use date..?

May be create a new column which has only datae part and used that in your graph. I have not thried this but you can try quicly. 

Unfortunately, the date field I used is already of type Date and not Datetime, it does not have a time associated with it. The visualisation is filling in the times because it is set as a continuous time axis.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.