Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hide/Remove row based on criteria

I am working on a change management dashboard for my company, and I am trying to create an automated process to hide/remove rows once all of the tasks related to the change have a complete status AND the effective date has passed. I already have a measure written to assign a number to each of the status options if that helps. (Does Not Apply =1, Not Started=2,In Process=3, Complete=4)  I am relatively new to DAX, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Example.JPG 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You shouldn't need to use VALUE with the measures.  That just converts strings to numerical values.  If the status number measure actually returns "4" instead of 4, you can add quotations around the comparison value to keep it simple.

ECMFilter2 =
IF (
SELECTEDVALUE('Project1)'[EffectiveDate]) < TODAY() &&
[ME Status Number] = 4 &&
[QE Status Number] = 4 &&
[MR Status Number] = 4 &&
[PC Status Number] = 4 &&
[TL Status Number] = 4,
TRUE(),
FALSE()
)

Nothing's changed for the date conditional.  Does it still return true in all instances?

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Cmcmahan
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

The easiest way to do this is to create a measure that returns True/False based on the conditions you want.

HideProject = 
IF (
SELECTEDVALUE(Projects[EffectiveDate]) < NOW() &&
SELECTEDVALUE(Projects[ME] = Complete) &&
SELECTEDVALUE(Projects[QE] = Complete) &&
SELECTEDVALUE(Projects[MR] = Complete) &&
SELECTEDVALUE(Projects[PC] = Complete) &&
SELECTEDVALUE(Projects[TL] = Complete),
TRUE(),
FALSE()
)

And then you can add this measure into a visual level filter, and hide results where this is true.  Depending on how your tables are set up, this may not be the exact syntax, but it should get you started in the right direction.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I keep receiving an error message that says a single value for column ME cannot be determined. How do I look at this row by row for each project?

Example2.JPG

That would be becasue I forgot the closing parenthesis in part of the expression.  That's what I get for not testing this directly in PBI first.

HideProject = 
IF (
        SELECTEDVALUE(Projects[ME]) = Complete && 
        SELECTEDVALUE(Projects[QE]) = Complete && 
        SELECTEDVALUE(Projects[MR]) = Complete && 
        SELECTEDVALUE(Projects[PC]) = Complete && 
        SELECTEDVALUE(Projects[TL]) = Complete, 
    TRUE(), 
    FALSE()
)
Anonymous
Not applicable

The formula isn't erroring out anymore, but it is not working properly. I have a project which meets all of the criteria of the formula, but is returning as False. Any suggestions?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Example3.JPG

I may have messed up again and forgotten quotation marks around each of the Complete values.  Did it not give you some sort of warning that it didn't know what Complete was?

Try this update:

HideProject = 
IF (
        SELECTEDVALUE(Projects[ME]) = "Complete" && 
        SELECTEDVALUE(Projects[QE]) = "Complete" && 
        SELECTEDVALUE(Projects[MR]) = "Complete" && 
        SELECTEDVALUE(Projects[PC]) = "Complete" && 
        SELECTEDVALUE(Projects[TL]) = "Complete", 
    TRUE(), 
    FALSE()
)

If this still doesn't work, create another measure to test each condition for true.  If you can narrow down which part is evaluating to false, you can fix that and hopefully fix the measure.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had already added the qutations. I will test each condition and let you know what I find. Thank you for your help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tested each indvidually. The condition for effective date returned all "True" values even if the effective date had not passed yet. The conditions for the indvidual role columns returned all "False" values even if the status was set to complete. Not really sure whats going on.

Huh. That depends on how the visual's values are calculated then.  Do each of these rows represent a single row in a data table, or are they aggregations of multiple rows?  SELECTEDVALUE returns blank by default when there is more than one possible value in the given context.  The results you're seeing are what I'd expect if SELECTEDVALUE is returning blank every time.

You may be able to use the measure you spoke about earlier that returns 4 when the status is Complete instead of checking the status directly.  At this point, it seems that I just don't know enough about your data model to do anything but guess at the problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable

All of the data sourced for the report is from a SharePoint list. In the SharePoint list each role has a dropdown menu to select their status. (Not Started, In Process, etc..) Would that be causing these issues?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Got it working. Used the measure I created previously that assigned a number to each status (1=Does Not Apply, 2=Not Started, etc...) then used value instead of selectedvalue.

ECMFilter2 =
IF (
VALUE('Project1)'[EffectiveDate]) < TODAY() &&
VALUE('Project1)'[ME Status Number]) = 4 &&
VALUE('Project1)'[QE Status Number]) = 4 &&
VALUE('Project1)'[MR Status Number]) = 4 &&
VALUE('Project1)'[PC Status Number]) = 4 &&
VALUE('Project1)'[TL Status Number]) = 4,
TRUE(),
FALSE()
)

You shouldn't need to use VALUE with the measures.  That just converts strings to numerical values.  If the status number measure actually returns "4" instead of 4, you can add quotations around the comparison value to keep it simple.

ECMFilter2 =
IF (
SELECTEDVALUE('Project1)'[EffectiveDate]) < TODAY() &&
[ME Status Number] = 4 &&
[QE Status Number] = 4 &&
[MR Status Number] = 4 &&
[PC Status Number] = 4 &&
[TL Status Number] = 4,
TRUE(),
FALSE()
)

Nothing's changed for the date conditional.  Does it still return true in all instances?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I switched the effective date to value as well instead of selectedvalue. Everything is functioning exactly as I want it to. I've been testing different scenarios to make sure it won't fail and it seems to be working correctly. 

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please kindly mark the most helpful solution as answer to finish the thread and help others to find it more quickly. thanks!

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Well, I'm not sure why it's working as well as it is, but if it gives the correct result, I'm not going to argue.  Congrats on figuring it out!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.