Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Help working with survey data

I am trying to work with some survey data where I would like to be able to select the answer to one question and have the other visuals filter to the answers for their question based on the customers selected in the first visual. 

Sample PBIX file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/27q3tftjqxz56y0/SurveyData.pbix?dl=0

I should note that in the actual survey data, on some questions, a single user can submit multiple responses so I don't think turning the response table into a matrix is an option.

In the example below, if you select "red" under "What is your favorite color?" you see there are 4 customers that answered "red" (Jane, Ann, Mike, Erin).  The problem is, I can't figure out how to write the customer count on the visuals so it inherits the customers from the first visual.  They just blank out:

Current result to a selectionCurrent result to a selection

This would be the desired result (made by cutting and pasting parts of images)surveydesiredresult.jpg

I have tried variations of all and variables but can't get it to behave.

What is your favorite letter testing? = 
VAR CustomersList = VALUES ( Responses[CustomerID] )
RETURN
CALCULATE(
    DISTINCTCOUNT(Responses[CustomerID]),
    --ALL ( Responses ),
    --ALL ( Responses[QuestionKey],Responses[CustomerID] ),
    ALL ( Responses[QuestionKey]),
    --CustomersList,
    Responses[QuestionKey] = 3
)

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jdbuchanan71 

Since you use "Answer" column in three visuals, when selecting an item in visual "color", then the visual "letter" also show "distincount letter" for that selected item.

But there is no "distincount letter" for that selected item (eg, red).

Best Regards
Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-juanli-msft,

When creating a data model for a survey, is the correct path to create a unique table for each question and answer and then append them to a unified table? 

Or would I need to create a quick measure for each question and answer?

Or is there some other, better way to solve this problem?

Thank you for you help and also thank you to @jdbuchanan71!

Cheers!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.