Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

artfulmunkeey
Helper I
Helper I

Help with time intelligence and calculations

Hi all,

back again for some much needed help! I am strugglign with the following problem and wonder if anyone can advise?

I have the following tables; Total remainng Hours by month and Actual Hours booked by month, linked by common project code columns.

MonthYearRemaining Hours
Jan-204850
Feb-204650
Mar-204550
Apr-204250
May-203900
Jun-203500
Jul-203300
Aug-203150
Sep-203150
Oct-203150
Nov-203150
Dec-203150

MonthYearActual Hours
Jan-20150
Feb-20200
Mar-20100
Apr-20300
May-20350
Jun-20400
Jul-20200
Aug-20150
Sep-20 
Oct-20 
Nov-20 
Dec-20 

I want to predict the remaining hours by using the actual YTD and then timephasing the remaing hours by the remaining days/weeks in the year. I already have the total planned hours reducing by the actual hours monthly but cannot get my head around how to merge the two without duplicating.

Something similar to the below.

MonthYearActual&Remaining
Jan-20150
Feb-20200
Mar-20100
Apr-20300
May-20350
Jun-20400
Jul-20200
Aug-20150
Sep-20787.5
Oct-20787.5
Nov-20787.5
Dec-20787.5

I suspect I need a separate table which calculates the remaining days/weeks, and some way of filtering the remainnig hours depending on current date, however I am completely stuck!

Also, would it be possible to raise a flag if the number of actual hours exceeds the planned hours, if so, how could I do this?

Any help would be greatfully appreciated!

Thanks in advance

9 REPLIES 9
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @artfulmunkeey 

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution. More people will benefit from it. Or you are still confused about it, please provide me with more details about your table and your problem or share me with your pbix file from your Onedrive for Business.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @artfulmunkeey 

Could you provide me with your data model or your pbix file?

I think you have delete your file which shared in your link.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@artfulmunkeey 

What is the actual calculation for Sep 2020 onwards? (I take it the final table will include actual hours upto a certain date or month & the calculation for the remaining dates or months).

Basically, how do you calculate the "787.5" we see as from Sep 2020?

Also, I take it that the cutoff between actual hours and calculation is if the month has actual data in it right? Does the value count? in other words, is the date of the month relevant? (ie. if there is an actual value for Sep2020, but only for upto the 7th September, which number must be shown? the Actual value or the "calculated value"?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Thanks for the fast response!

Hmm, you raise some good points and have me thinking.... I want to report actual hours YTD.

From the current date onwards I want to use the remaining hours (planned hours - actuals hours). But to timephase those remaining hours by the number of remaining days in the year. (My calculation of 787.5 is now irrelevant - i think i just used total hours divided by remaining months).

But, if the actual hours equal or exceed the remaining hours then I want to stop the calculation and flag that the hours have all been consumed.

The actual data looks more like the following, but I've applied some measures to sort and simplify it for now whilst I experiment.

Actual Hours

Trans Date

Project CodeResource CodeActual Hours
01/01/20201234599995

Planned Hours

Time by DayProject CodeResource CodePlanned Hours
01/011234599998.5

In answer to your question; I'd ideally like to be able to have the calculation based on current month (use actuals up to last day of previous month and use planned from first day of current month, ignoring any actual hours in current month).

Thanks!

@artfulmunkeey 

Can you provide a sample/dummy dataset to play around with?

Also, how do you calculate remaining dates? is it "working days" (exclude weekends and festivities)? If so, you will need to flag these in your date table

Paul on Linkedin.

Gladly... how do I do so? I have an excel with the two test data sets, would this do? I can't seem to upload it here.

@artfulmunkeey 

Best option is to upload to a cloud service (Onedrive, Google Drive, iCloud, Dropbox...) and share from there..

Paul on Linkedin.

@artfulmunkeey 

Can you try again? the link you provided leads to no files

Paul on Linkedin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.