Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with these two calculations please!

I have been asked to create two calculations in Power BI (either using Power Query or DAX). With the way the data is structure I'm struggling to understand the best way to do these calculations.

The data structure is:
Value          Period          Type               FiscalYear
0                 P3                PLANNED      2016
33               P3                REVISED        2016
0                 P3                ACTUAL         2016
100             P4                PLANNED      2016
0                 P4                REVISED         2016
0                 P4                ACTUAL         2016

6000           P1                PLANNED      2017
0                 P1                REVISED         2017
0                 P1                ACTUAL         2017

The two calculations to be created are:

1) For each FiscalYear, and for each LEPeriod: create a field named "CurrentPlanned"=IF(REVISED>0, REVISED, PLANNED)

2) For each FiscalYear, and for each LEPeriod: create a field named "Variation"=CurrentPlanned - ACTUAL

How would you achieve this?

The dataset above repeats for many more years so I wouldn't hardcode the FiscalYear.

Your prompt response will be much appreacited.
Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

In Power Query: just pivot on column Type with value column Value, advanced option "Don't aggregate" (or leave the default "Sum" in cae of duplicate records), then add your 2 columns.

Remark: I added both columns as a custom column; the first column can also be added as a conditional column.

let
    Source = Table1,
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(Source, List.Distinct(Source[Type]), "Type", "Value"),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Pivoted Column", "CurrentPlanned", each if [REVISED] > 0 then [REVISED] else [PLANNED]),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Variation", each [CurrentPlanned] - [ACTUAL])
in
    #"Added Custom1"
Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous

for starters have you created a date table?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, and it contain the normal dates, month number, etc.. but also the FiscalYear and Periods.

@Anonymous   i guess what i am trying process is where the blocker is, would it not make sense to create 2 columns, i.e planned and revised become 2 columns.  this is easy to do in power query, just pivot on those 2 columns and set value to be the value

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your suggestion but I'm afraid I don't follow. 

First of all I'm not sure if I should be attempting this using a calculated column in Power Query, or DAX.

The calculation I'm thinking goes a little something like this:

Calculated column version:
CurrentPlanned = IF( Type='REVISED' THEN
                                                                      IF( REVISED>0 THEN REVISED
                                                                                              ELSE ( SELECT PLANNED where FiscalYear = revised row's FiscalYear

and Period = revised row's Period )                                                                                ELSE "n/a" (and we can filter out the n/a values in the report pane.

The above doen't look great but I'm not sure how to do in Power BI. Hopefully the above will make sense of what I'm trying to achieve.

DAX verison:

Don't know how to. The DAX will need to be able to work out the calculation on-the-fly using group by clauses.

Again, it will be much appreciated if someone can put me on the right track.

Thanks.

@Anonymous look the issue here is you have values on 3 different rows  per period that you want to combine into one or 2 measures.

so the easiest way to handle it is in my opinion is by pivoting those values it so that all of the measures planned, actual and revised are on the same row  for each period so that you can easily create your measure when they all on the same row.

look at the pivot section here

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-common-query-tasks/

my suggestion is for you to pivot the values in power query to get them on one row, pivot by your period

then create your calculations (with if statements) in dax.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm think my head is too into it that I've lost clarity. Maybe tomorrow I'll be fresh with clear vision.

I have used the pivot function many times but I don't see how to use it in your suggestion?

What 'date' field?  There are 3 fields that make up a unique date, those being Period, Type, and FiscalYear. Am I to pivot all of them? When playing with that the data structure looks a complete mess.

In addition to Value, Period, Type, and FiscalYear fields, there are many more fields but not required for the calculations but will remain for filtering.

Are you, or someone able to knock up a dummy .pbix for the solution?  This way I can review and understand.

Thanks.

In Power Query: just pivot on column Type with value column Value, advanced option "Don't aggregate" (or leave the default "Sum" in cae of duplicate records), then add your 2 columns.

Remark: I added both columns as a custom column; the first column can also be added as a conditional column.

let
    Source = Table1,
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(Source, List.Distinct(Source[Type]), "Type", "Value"),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Pivoted Column", "CurrentPlanned", each if [REVISED] > 0 then [REVISED] else [PLANNED]),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Variation", each [CurrentPlanned] - [ACTUAL])
in
    #"Added Custom1"
Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Brillant. It worked.
To fulfil the calculations, merging rows with removing null on the fly, I had to do more pivoting/unpivoting but I got there and all looks good.

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.