Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GilesWalker
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Help with sum of distinct count filter

Hi everyone,

I am new to using DAX and was hoping I could get help with this issue.

I have created a column which combines a text field (Wagon name) with a number field (wagon number). I then use this to create a DISTINCTCOUNT for a given time period.

In another column I have used the formula Wagons total:= if(Wagon name="IB",3,2). Each wagon can only hold 2 items except the IB wagons which can hold 3.

What I am trying to do is sum Wagons Total based off of what the DISTINCTCOUNT picks up.

I have tried a bunch of different formula but to no avail. Hope you can help.

Thanks,

Giles

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
leonardmurphy
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Given the table of data (which is helpful), Rémi's answer is close to what I would suggest.

SUMX(SUMMARIZE(TableName, [Wagon and Nu], [Total wagon capacity]), [Total wagon capacity])

*changing TableName to the actual name of your table.

The SUMMARIZE creates a filtered table with just the DISTINCT values of [Wagon and Nu] and [Wagon Capacity]. In other words, it gets rid of the duplicate rows (based on the 2 columns listed), then sums the capacity of the remaining unique rows.

In other words:

IB-145 3

IB-358 3

IB-145 3

IB-358 3

is turned into simply

IB-145 3

IB-358 3

And the 2nd column is then summed (which is this small example becomes 6).

If you have any choice over how the data is stored though, I'd recommend splitting your data into two actual tables. In one table, have the ID, [Order Date], Pack, Container, [Wagon & Nu] only. In another table have [Wagon & Nu], Wagon, Number and Capacity split out. In this 2nd table (the lookup table), you only need one row per [Wagon & Nu]. Join the two tables on the key field [Wagon & Nu] and in this situation, a simple SUM on capacity would work.

---
In Wisconsin? Join the Madison Power BI User Group.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.