Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with structure/calculations on the way to a Pareto chart.

Hi. We have "test data" in rows. Each test has 36 factors (the columns) that can cause the test to fail.

The raw data table, Test_Values, looks like this (this table is a data source in Power BI).

2020-08-04_21h29_07.png

The test_details_id column relates to a table that provides some category & time structure.

2020-08-05_08h53_05.png

Next, each factor has a formula which determines Pass/Fail so we've created a table, Test_Results, in Power Query to calculate failures. This table is basically a mirror of the Test_Values table and is related via the test_values_id.

2020-08-04_22h20_29.png

The next step is a Pareto chart where each factor (column) represents a histogram bucket.

I've found many of the examples/questions in this forum and online, but none of them have this type of pass/fail data.

Here's where I need help...

• How do we calculate the pass/fail rates in a way that makes sense for the histogram buckets? Do I need to create 36 separate measures, one for each column?
  • Is there an approach that will eventually make the cummulative line in the Perato simpler to calculate?
  • Is there a better way to structure the data to accomplish the task? We completely control the structure.

Thank you! 🙌

10 REPLIES 10
mhossain
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous 

1). In order to start I think you can structure the data, you have 36 factors columns, so you are thinking of creating 36 measures. Try to do the unpivot/mutirow of factor table data, so that you have just one factor value column and a factor attribute column for identification, now you can think of creating just 1 measure. Please let me know if this makes in order to start the structure and let me know if you require more details.

2). Second table already looks in good format.

3). mirror table I am not clear, seems you are creating out of first table, but not sure why you are doing that, need more details. I think

From data structure side, first try to create the vertical data in multirow format then, probably you will require a separate mapping tables to join Ids (although not necessary but it depends). If you have these data strucutre and calculations and creating visualization will be easier.

Let me know if above makes sense.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mhossainThanks for the help! I'm very grateful. 👊

The unpivot idea makes perfect sense. It also helps me better explain the third table.

If I unpivot the first table it looks like this...

2020-08-05_12h27_47.png

This structure makes a lot of sense. I'm starting to get a better database mindset instead of spreadsheet.

The third table is a "calculated table". Each Measurement_Code has a different forumula that represents PASS/FAIL.  The third table had a column for each measurement showing if it failed.

For example, the Tshort formula is...

Tshort_Failed = RELATED(Test_Values[Tshort]) <> 999

but the Rcoil is more complicated...

Rcoil_Failed = OR(RELATED(Test_Values[Rcoil]) < RELATED(Test_Details[Rcoil_min]), RELATED(Test_Values[Rcoil]) > RELATED(Test_Details[Rcoil_max]))

About 20 of the pass/fail calculations are the same as the Rcoil, reading the max/min out of the details table.

But, the other 15 are different logic like Tshort.

I think the ideal structure is to remove the Test_Results table completely and add a Measurement_Failed column to the unpivoted table but then I'm stuck on how to do the pass/fail calculations. Thoughts?

Hi @Anonymous 

I think after the unpivoting we have multiple ways to solve, lets see the simple way which you already have created.

1). The main table you have alread done the unpivotting now, so you have measurement code and measure value in vertical format in rows basically.

2). Second table is good

3). 3rd table which you have already created in the powerquery for pass/fail, unpivot this table similar to 1st table, so you will have measurement code and pass/fail value similar structure to 1st table.

Finally --- Create a unique key with ID & measurement code in the 1st table, and Create a unique key with ID & measurement code in the 3rd table. And go to 1st table and using merge functionality bring the pass/fail column into the 1st table from 3rd table in powerquery window, or alternatively you can use lookupvalue to bring the pass/fail in 1st table outside powerquery window in the dax environment.

So now in the 1st table you have , measurement code, measurement value and pass/fail together. Please let me know if this makes sense, feel free to let me know for any details.

Other method will be, create 36 measures, seems factors are fixed. and once 36 measures are created, using switch function in DAX you will create a virtual range/table which will be used for the charts, like we do in excel for creating a dynamic charts, this will be little tricky.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @mhossain,

Thanks to your help I was able to get a table that includes all the data.

Now I have Measurement table with thousands of rows ane repeating Measurement Codes.

GollyJer_0-1597226059327.png

Now I'm feeling really boneheaded because I can't figure out the next step.

I'm looking to make the clustered column chart showing the count of failures for each Measurement Code.

My redimentary thought is to create a measure for each Measurement Code.

Rcoil Fail Count = 
CALCULATE(
    COUNTROWS(Measurement),
    Measurement[Measurement Code] = "Rcoil", 
    Measurement[Status] = "failed"
)

Then drag all 30 of these onto a Clustered Columns chart.

I'm certain this is a bad approach.

Can you point me into the right direction again? I'm hoping there's one Measure that will do the aggregation I need.

Thanks!

Hi @Anonymous 

Seems as per your new table creation, you don't require to create 30 measures for 'Fail' as you already have column Pass/Fail status in the table, I might be wrong, let's see:

Just create a measure

Fail Count =
CALCULATE(
COUNTROWS(Measurement),
)

Drag this measure to the value in cluster column chart, and in x axis bring the measurement column, sort the chart as per values/measures.

Please see if above makes sense, if not please explain more, or upload some sample data if possible, I can try.

And 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I knew with 100% certainty that I was missing something simple there. 😃

I'm learning a lot. Thanks again @mhossain 👊

Now we're super close! The last bit is a cummulative failure percentage. I've tried following some of the examples on the forum and in stackoverflow and some blogs... but they all seem more complicated than necessary.

Here's the current setup.

2020-08-12_21h14_59.png

The Failure Percentage is calculated like this...

Failure Percentage = DIVIDE(
    CALCULATE(
        COUNTROWS(Measurement),
    ),
    [Failed]
)

Needed is the cummulative sum of the percentages.

It would look like (starting at the top)... 82.12%, 92.88%, 96.03%, etc.

I've tried a few things without success.

Do you have another simple solution?

Thank you!

Hi @Anonymous 

Try this link https://www.daxpatterns.com/cumulative-total/

Please let me know if above link helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @mhossain.

The challenge I face compared to all the examples out there is I don't have a table column to sort on. They all use an existing date column. I just want to sort on the max cumulative percentage.... which is already a calculated measure with can't be used in the MAX or MIN functions.

I was able to accomplish a chart that represents all the data by following this approach.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Pareto-80-20-calculation-for-items-making-up-80-of-Sales/m-...

But it requires creating a new table and doesn't track any of the other filters on the page. It just remains a static representation of the full data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandakThanks for the response. I was afraid this was too much information to get an answer. I should have started smaller.

Can you help with this more simple version?

There is a table with 36 columns filled with TRUE/FALSE in the rows.

I want to create a bar chart where each bar represents the percent TRUE in a given column.

The only way I can think to make this happen is to create a measure for each column that does the percent true calculation.

(Count = True) / Count

But, this seems so inefficient. Being new to PowerBI I'm curious what might be a better way.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.