Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rate
Helper III
Helper III

Help with slicer for multiple Columns in Same Table (To and From)

Hello!

I am struggling with a Report I am building for controlling the stock of some of our users. 

We can have multiple types of stock movements, and the users can receive and give stock in between them.

The issue is that I have a table with the stock movements in between users, one line for each movement, with the following columns:

To: Gives us the user that is receiving the stock

Quantity: Number of items given from user 1 to user 2.

Please find an example below:

Movement_idUser_FromUser_toQuantity
1WarehouseUser 1100
2User 1User 250
3User 1 User 350
4User 3Warehouse20

I would love to have a slicer that, when chosen a specific user could show us the movements of stock that user receives (To) and gives out (From). So, when choosing User 3 on the Slicer, I would only see:

Movement_idUser_FromUser_toQuantity
3User 1 User 350
4User 3Warehouse20

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

You may download my PBI file from here.

Hope this helps.

Untitled.png

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rate  - There are pros/cons to each of the 2 solutions:

1. My solution does not duplicate rows in the fact table, but it creates a non-intuitive (and likely slow) filter.

2. @Ashish_Mathur 's solution contains duplicate rows, but creates a natural relationship/filter. Duplicate rows means that the fact table will only produce the correct results if you apply a filter.

There is a 3rd solution as well, which would create a larger User table instead of duplicating rows in the fact table and also create a natural relationship/filter:

1. Create the modified User Slicer Calculated Table:

User Slicer 2 = 
UNION(
    DISTINCT(SELECTCOLUMNS(Table2,"User",[User_From], "User Combo", [User_From] & "->" & [User_to])), 
    DISTINCT(SELECTCOLUMNS(Table2,"User",[User_to], "User Combo", [User_From] & "->" & [User_to]))
)

2. Create a new Calculated Column on your fact table:

User Combo = [User_From] & "->" & [User_to]

3. Create a Relationship between your fact table and User Slicer table, on the User Combo column. It will need to be a Many-to-Many relationship, with User Slicer filtering the fact table.

4. Create a Measure:

Quantity Measure 2 = SUM(Table2[Quantity])

All 3 of these solutions produce the results you are looking for - you will need to consider / test the trade-offs between them. The disadvantage of the 3rd solution is that it uses a larger dimension table, with a more granular user key in the fact table. This means the index of the User Combo will have more distinct values and therefore be less efficient than @Ashish_Mathur 's Value column.

Cheers!

Nathan

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

You may download my PBI file from here.

Hope this helps.

Untitled.png

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rate  - There are pros/cons to each of the 2 solutions:

1. My solution does not duplicate rows in the fact table, but it creates a non-intuitive (and likely slow) filter.

2. @Ashish_Mathur 's solution contains duplicate rows, but creates a natural relationship/filter. Duplicate rows means that the fact table will only produce the correct results if you apply a filter.

There is a 3rd solution as well, which would create a larger User table instead of duplicating rows in the fact table and also create a natural relationship/filter:

1. Create the modified User Slicer Calculated Table:

User Slicer 2 = 
UNION(
    DISTINCT(SELECTCOLUMNS(Table2,"User",[User_From], "User Combo", [User_From] & "->" & [User_to])), 
    DISTINCT(SELECTCOLUMNS(Table2,"User",[User_to], "User Combo", [User_From] & "->" & [User_to]))
)

2. Create a new Calculated Column on your fact table:

User Combo = [User_From] & "->" & [User_to]

3. Create a Relationship between your fact table and User Slicer table, on the User Combo column. It will need to be a Many-to-Many relationship, with User Slicer filtering the fact table.

4. Create a Measure:

Quantity Measure 2 = SUM(Table2[Quantity])

All 3 of these solutions produce the results you are looking for - you will need to consider / test the trade-offs between them. The disadvantage of the 3rd solution is that it uses a larger dimension table, with a more granular user key in the fact table. This means the index of the User Combo will have more distinct values and therefore be less efficient than @Ashish_Mathur 's Value column.

Cheers!

Nathan

Hello @Anonymous  and @Ashish_Mathur !

Really, really, grateful for your help!! Quick, thorough and really smart solutions! I am amazed and really grateful.

I have triedthe three solutions and they work seemlessly! Again, I can't thank you enough. Having to choose one upon the three, I think my favourite solution is the one proposed by @Ashish_Mathur. I don't have that much data and I am always forcing a filter to be selected.

Again, thanks a lot and have a great week!

Cheers,

You are welcome.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rate -

You could try the following:

1. Create a disconnected parameter table (no relationship to your fact table) that will be your slicer. In this case, you could create the following Calculated Table:

User Slicer = 
UNION(
    SELECTCOLUMNS(VALUES(Table2[User_From]),"User",[User_From]), 
    VALUES(Table2[User_to])
)

2.  Create the following measure for Quantity. The idea is that it filters to only include the relevant rows. Note: In a table visual, if all measures are blank, then the row won't show up. 

Quantity Measure = 
var user = SELECTEDVALUE('User Slicer'[User])
return 
CALCULATE(
    SUM(Table2[Quantity]),
    FILTER(
        Table2,
        OR(
            Table2[User_From] = user,
            Table2[User_to] = user
        )
    )
)

Cheers!

Nathan

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.