Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with showing data over period of column names

Hello everyone,

I am struggling with a problem that is new for me, and which I need your help for.

Sample data can be downloaded here: https://www94.zippyshare.com/v/QFphRifX/file.html

As you can see, some of the column names have time periods (2018-01, 2018-02 etc.) with values of the period beneath them per employee. It is possible for me to show this in a table or matrix, however, the problem I am having is that I want to show this in a graph.

On the x-axis I want the time periods (so, the column names), and for the values I want the values of those columns. However, selecting the colums for the x-axis shows the values instead of the name/date, which is normal for Power BI to do.

Is it possible to create a graph so I can show the values over time with a trend line? Can somebody tell me how this is possible, so I can learn from it too?

Thank you for your time and effort.

Best regards,

AliBI 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mussaenda
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Is this what you are looking for?

Untitled.png

If yes, please see attached PBIX here

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nevermind, I have fixed it. I now know how to unpivot and just added department and employee name in the axis for drillthrough.

Thank you so much for your help.

Hi, @Anonymous 

It was good to know that I helped you and you have fixed your 2nd question. Have a nice day.

mussaenda
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Is this what you are looking for?

Untitled.png

If yes, please see attached PBIX here

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi mussaenda,

First of all, thank you for your help and the attached file. I have taken a look at it, and it is almost what I want to achieve.

The time periods are now on the x-axis, which is great. However, is it possible to show the total values in the graph per time period (just like now), but first start with the total, then drillthrough to the departments, then drillthrough to the employee?

Is this possible to achieve? I have tried to add these fields myself and drill through, but it does not seem to work.

If it is, can you please tell me how? The pbix you attached is great, and I see some steps you did like unpivoting the columns etc, but I do not know how to do it myself for my 'real' data.

Thank you for your time and effort.

Best regards,

AliBI

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.