Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Mathangi_S
Frequent Visitor

Help with plotting Pincodes to power BI Maps

Hi All,

I have a dataset with a list of Indian pin codes to be plotted on the power BI maps. I have tried various options stated in the power BI forum like chnaging data category, renaming pin code to zip code etc...but none of them have worked so far. 

The only thing that Power BI is able to plot is the name of the city correctly, but for my requirement, I would want to show each postal code on the map as my data is arranged that way.

I have attached below a snapshot of the map that shows a small sample with a field called "Geo Code" and concatenated by city name, Zipcode and State name. This has set of 40 pin codes in it(meaning 40 rows of data) but the map showing only 1 postal code accurately as shown below:

Power BI Map showing a single data point on the map(instead of 40 required points) with the calculated field "Geo Code"Power BI Map showing a single data point on the map(instead of 40 required points) with the calculated field "Geo Code"

Could somebody help me out with this? Also, is this a problem specific to Indian pin codes?

Note: Currently I do not have the lat-long information for this data. 

13 REPLIES 13
Rdk155

Yash_Sharma

I might be late but I just found how to do it precisely for Indian Postal Codes

I concatenated the State's name and the postal code, followed by making the column as "Place"

Sample is shown below:

Yash_Sharma_0-1664093862020.png

Hope this helps

This worked thanks !!!!

ambeshsingh

Was this ever solved? I'm having a similar problem with Indian Zip Codes.

ambeshsingh

Was this solved? I'm having a similar problem with Power Maps in Excel.

Spoiler
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Pin Codes.png

I couldn't get it to work either - tried different concatenated combinations for Location - this is the best one I got but clearly wrong.

Anyway let us know if you find a solution/answer.

Hi Mathangi_S,

According to your description, you have 40 records in data, but there will not display 40 pin codes in the map, right?

Based on my test, we need to concatenate location value and pin code value in a new column, then specify map location property with this new column. All pin codes will be plotted. Please refer to screenshots below:

w1.PNGe1.PNG

From your image, I noticed that the one point displays outside of the India (eg: Ajalser). I guess there might be another points which is outside of India and you need to zoom out the map to check.

If issue persists, please share your data for our analysis if possible.

Best regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Qiuyun_Yu,

I have tried the city + pin code concatenation and it doesn't work in my case, the reason being there are several pin codes within each city itself which needs to be plotted. And by 40 rows of data, I actually mean 40 such concatenations in my dataset for the column "Geo Code".

It would be great if you could help me plot the sample dataset I am sharing with you which has pin codes, city and other address information only for the Chennai city as I need each pin code value to be separately detected for showing sales/revenuew values for each pin code at a later stage!

Also, could you please let me know how to share my data because I don't see an option in this forum to do that?

Hi All,

Anybody else who can help me on this?Also, it would be great if you can let me know how to share my dataset?

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Power BI uses Bing for geocoding so if it is not recognizing Indian pin codes, you may have better luck getting an answer on the Bing developer forums.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=bingmaps

https://www.microsoft.com/maps/developer-resources.aspx

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.