Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with parameter

Hello,

I have a report calculating how many hours an employee works.  It has a formula that like:

SUM(Regular Hours) + SUM(Extra Hours) - Lunch Deduction.

I need to find out from the user what the lunch deduction is, so I"ve created a parameter with values .50, 1.0, 1.5, etc.  But now I don't know how to use this parameter on the report.  How do I display it, and how do I grab the value and add to my formula?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
calerof
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@Anonymous 

With this code:

WTF = 
SUMX(WTF, [Working Hours Total] - 'Lunch Hours'[Lunch Hours Value])

See here:

Half hour lunchHalf hour lunchOne hour lunchOne hour lunch

Works for me. Maybe you could share sample data and your pbix file.

F

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
calerof
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @Anonymous ,

When you create a parameter you'll find it in the Fields pane at the right with a table of one column with a series of values depending on your choice when you created it, and a measure:

param.png

You just have to use that measure in your calculations.

Regards,

Fernando

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Fernando, I must have not created the parameter properly because it is not in my field pane.  From the Power Query Editor Window, I clicked Manage Parameters, then New, and created Lunch Deduction Amount, then hit Close and Apply.  Is there something I am supposed to do after this?

DaisySara_0-1601666877064.png

DaisySara_1-1601666958423.png

You created the parameter in Power Query... It must be created in the app AFTER you've loaded data from PQ to the model. These two parameters serve different purposes.
calerof
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

In your case you need to use a What If Parameter, which is located under the Modeling ribbon:

param.png

Cheers,

Fernando

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Fernando,

That worked but I can't get it to work in a formula, it just keeps using the alternateresult of 0.50, even though the slider says a different value:

WTF = 'QGenda Compliance'[Worked Hours]-'Lunch Deduction Amount'[Lunch Deduction Amount Value]

DaisySara_0-1601669788906.png

calerof
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@Anonymous 

With this code:

WTF = 
SUMX(WTF, [Working Hours Total] - 'Lunch Hours'[Lunch Hours Value])

See here:

Half hour lunchHalf hour lunchOne hour lunchOne hour lunch

Works for me. Maybe you could share sample data and your pbix file.

F

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got it working.  What I did different...My Worked Hours was a Column, so I created it was a Measure (never know when to use column or measure), then I used the SUMX like you did and it worked. Thank you so much for your patience and help!

calerof
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Good to hear. Rule of thumb: Always use measures, never use calculated columns. Unless it's completely necessary. 

😉

F

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, I am going to go back and change my calculated columns into measures.

Maybe I should open a new thread on this, but can you use IF statements in Measures?  This is my formula in a column now, and trying to put in a measure, but it's not allowing me to pick that first field name (tagname):

Extra Pay Hours = IF('QGenda Compliance'[TagName] IN {"Shift: Specialty Shift", "Shift: Additional Shift", "Call: Specialty (Beeper)", "Call: Beeper", "PTO Buy-Back"}, 'QGenda Compliance'[Worked Hours], 0)

@Anonymous

You should not use calculated columns unless you don't have ANY OTHER CHOICE. However, turning calculated columns into measures is not always a good decision. Please note that a calculated column can be used in slicers, whereas measures can't. If you need a column, then the best solution by far is to calculate it in Power Query.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors